Summary: Contemplating the vastness of space and answering the question whether we are alone in the universe the reason for the stars.
Psalm 97:6 KJV The heavens declare his righteousness, and all
the people see his glory.
- Stars galaxies, quasars, pulsars shout forth God’s glory
- About 3,000 stars can be seen with the naked eye.
- Science estimates 10↗21 stars
- Other estimates 70,000 million million million
- Or 3000 million billion stars
- To understand this think of the number of grains of sand on the earth’s seashores is estimated to be 10↗25.
- Earth’s sands appears to equal the number of stars in the universe
- The Bible also says that each star is unique like snow flakes
There is one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory.
I. Our Speed Through Space
- The earth revolves around the sun once a year. It also rotates on
its axis every 24 hours.
- The earth’s spin results in a surface speed of 1,000 miles per hour
at the equator.
- The average passenger plane flies at 500 mph
- The speed of the earth due to orbital motion around the sun is 66
times greater still.
- Earth is also moving around the Sun at about 67,000 miles per hour
- During an average human’s lifetime (70 trips around the sun), 41
billion miles are traveled.
- 186,000 miles a second or 6 trillion miles in a year
- Solar-system travel around the galaxy.....500,000 mph
- Overall motion of the galaxy...................1.1 million mph
- The fastest rocket to leave the Earth’s atmosphere traveling to
Pluto at 36,000 mph.
- New Horizons spacecraft, an Atlas V rocket with five boosters
strapped on it lunched Jan. 19.
- The spacecraft passed by the moon in nine hours.
- It took the Apollo astronauts three days to get that far on a Saturn
V rocket, the largest rocket ever launched from Earth.
- Ps 144:3-4 KJV LORD, what is man,that thou takest knowledge
of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him! 4 Man is like to vanity: his days are as a shadow that passeth away.
- Psalm 144:3-4The Message - I wonder why you care, God—
why do you bother with us at all? All we are is a puff of air; we’re like shadows in a campfire.
- Man is bent on denying God - 2x Ps 14:1, 53:1
Psalm 14:1KJV The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 10:4KJV The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.
- Instead man seeks for ET
- A great number of astronomers think that, since life supposedly
evolved here on earth, it must have evolved near one of the many stars out there
- SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)
- The first SETI conference took place at Green Bank in 1961
- Despite all the listening, on thousands of frequencies over many
years, nothing indicating intelligent life has ever been heard.
- Apr. 99 Astronomers discovered the first solar system other than
our own. It has three planets orbiting a star that is 44 light years away (Upsilon Andromeda)
- Proxima Centauri (Latin: meaning ’next to’ or ’nearest - a red