Summary: This is the battle that was raging in Eden!
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
December 8, 2013
Seed of a Woman
Genesis certainly is a strange place to preach/Christmas sermon.
• Here/midst of man’s greatest tragedy
• revelation of man’s greatest hope
• here the tale of sin, judgment and death
• meet/message/saving Gospel and
• Person of the Lamb of God for the first time.
• What more/wonderful message to preach for Advent.
God has made man in His image.
• He created man/perfect innocence
• Placed him in a perfect environment.
• Adam/given dominion over/Lord’s entire creation
• Presented/perfect companion/woman called Eve.
• They live/idyllic existence, free/pain, disease, death/sorrow.
Every need they have is met and they enjoy unbroken, unhindered fellowship with God Himself, Gen. 2:8-9.
Only restriction: one tree
• “The tree of the knowledge of good and evil.”
• Adam/warned to stay away from this tree
• to eat its fruit will bring death into the world
Gen 3:15 “And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”
• Everything else/Bible flows from these words.
• As the acorn contains the mighty oak
• These words contain the entire plan of salvation.
• would be fulfilled thousands of years later/Calvary
• Neither Adam or Eve could fully have known what these words would one day mean.
• right in the middle of this tragedy is a flicker of hope.
Verse 15 shines out of this darkness like a great beacon, illuminating the amazing grace of God.
I. The personality of the promised lamb
This Lamb Is Unique In His Origin
• Told/One Who is coming “the seed of the woman.”
• strange statement
• Told/woman will produce/offspring w/o aid of a man.
• First prophecy/Virgin birth/Lord Jesus Christ.
• Satan/Adam/Eve did not understand it
God indicates He will send His Lamb/world through a woman without the involvement of a man!
• This is how the birth of Jesus came about.
• Isaiah prophesied it, Isa. 7:14
• angel Gabriel announced it to Mary and Joseph
Why is this important?
• Bible teaches sin/sin nature/handed down through the man
Every person who/entered/world through/old fashioned method inherited a sin nature, and is a sinner at birth
• Birth of Jesus/different.
• He came into this world without a human father
• Born w/o taint of sin! pure and sinless
• qualified to die for the sins of humanity, 2 Cor. 5:21.
birth/Jesus particularly unique is the fact that He was no ordinary baby, but He was, and is, God in the flesh
This Lamb Is Unique In His Occupation
• coming into/world to do battle with/forces of evil.