Summary: Seeing God in life
Sermon Luke 17:11-19 Seeing is Believing 10/14/01
Verses 11 Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee.
1. Galilee is a jewish country
2. Samaria is Gentile.
3. Significant Jesus on border between religious and not religious.
4. He walked the edge of faith so he could see the lost and those in need.
5. How hard it would be to reach out and touch the lost from deep inside.
6. Couldn’t reach that afar
7. So it was Jesus practice to be in the area where he could see the lost
8. On his way to the cross
Verses 12 - 13 As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master , have pity on us!”
1. Torah regulated the treatment of Leprosy.
2. Numbers 5:2-3 commands Israelites “To put out of the camp everyone who is leprous.”
3. Lev 13:45 requires a leper to shout “Unclean, unclean!” to warn uninfected peole to keep their distance
4. Isolated from everyone and everything
5. People regard leprosy not just as a medical condition but also as God’s judgement.
6. That made people less compassionate toward them because they regarded leprosy as punishment for sin.
7. They were ignored
8. Confined together in camps on the fringes of society often on the city trash heap because they had no other means of food
9. Wrapped in cloths
10. Just sat their and waited to get better.
11. Must have heard stories about Jesus
12. AND THEN From a distance they SAW him - hey isn’t that Jesus
13. The one who can perform miracles, the one who can heal, the one who brings new life and they began to call out to him
14. as they hoped against all hope that perhaps today they could return home to their families
15. I image - Keeping their distance - them running across the tops of the garbage hills slightly ahead and parallel to Jesus.
16. Waving their arms, trying to get his attention - can’t you hear their desperation - Jesus, louder Jesus Master have pity on us.
But they didn’t have to worry because Jesus SAW them Verses 14 When he saw them …
1. Jesus saw them because he was looking for them
2. Most people ignored them - pretended they didn’t exist - would walk past with their eyes half closed - hooded from the truth of their pain and suffering
3. like we walk past the homeless the beggar the child who is abused…
4. with eyes that don’t see
(And) When he saw them, he said “Go show yourselves to the priests.”
1. Law requires that lepers be examined by a priest to determine if they had been cured
2. It was a 50 miles journey to the nearest priest
3. Whoa, wait a minute Jesus we want to be healed
4. GO SHOW yourselves to the priests
5. What? but Jesus, Jesus - how their spirits must have fallen - for a moment they had dared to look up - dared to hope that they could be healed but now…
6. Now, Jesus was sending them away
7. Okay, look, maybe if we do what he says when we come back he will heal us
8. Jesus will you wait here, wait for us to come back - and then you heal us right?!
9. GO SHOW YOURSELVES TO THE PRIEST