Summary: Hebrews 11 is called the hall of faith, because it shows men and women off faith who has been victorious . These have vision in the use of their faith.
Seeing the invisible future
Scripture Text Hebrews 11:13-16
13. These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
14. For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland.
15. And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return.
16. But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.
Hebrews 11 is often called the hall of faith, because it enshrines men and women of faith who has been victorious in the own lifetimes. There is a word about vision in these heroes of faith.
You can not separate vision and faith:
With a vision- Proverbs 29:18 the people perish.
A lack of vision can be a lack of faith as well.
• Biblical vision – is informed by a person and promise of God that gives us stability and focus- a stable prospective
• Faith is defined as Heb. 11/1 ¶ now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Our text is about people who through difficult times made it because of vision along with faith succeeded.
Paul writes in 2 cor. 4:16-18
16. Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.
17. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,
18. While we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
Paul’s out look allowed him to undergo intense hardship and pain with unwavering faith because of vision of Gods promises. It was mostly a matter of vision and perspective that gave him the determination to go on. Our old man wears out and our time on planet earth is brief. But our hardships here on earth are temporary and the glory we will inherit is eternal. The inner man should be growing stronger as our outer man is grower weaker.
We can suffer in hope because we have the glorious vision of a glorious future in the promises of God.
Verse 13: These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
1. Vision – They saw the promises afar off- these gave them power for today- Vision gives you faith with long arms.
2. Confidence- assured of what God promises- makes us optimistic – knowing that faith works.
3. Hunger- They embraced the promises –took ownership of what was coming as if it where now. Embrace it with long arms of faith, hugging the promise bringing the promises near as in the heart. In my life there must be vision things I would like to accomplish, knowing that God gives us the desires off our heart according to his word and that my faith stands in the place of believing those things that are not as though they were.