Summary: The intent of the message was to clearly demonstrate all people can experience the powerful presence of an invisible God by recognizing three visible signs of His real presence. 1. Signs of Faith 2. Signs of Hope 3. Signs of Love
Seeing the Unseen
Funeral of a still born child for first time parents
So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, because we look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal. For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
Objective: I believe all people can experience the powerful presence of an invisible God by recognizing these three visible signs of His real presence:
1. Signs of Faith
2. Signs of Hope
3. Signs of Love
What I want people to do/leave with:
I want to give people the eyes to recognize an “unseen God” so that; even though unseen, they can experience comfort, hope, and peace knowing God’s presence is real.
I start to get a little impatient right about now. How about you? Christmas was just over a month ago, it seems light years away, doesn’t it? I keep wondering if I really need to get the snow blower repaired. Can I make it through the rest of the season? And did you notice how sunny it was on Friday? I even toyed with the idea of doing a little work in the backyard. I start to get a little impatient right about now.
• I want to see the new life spring brings.
• I want to see the grass turning green.
• I want to see longer days.
• I want to see the tulips I planted break through the soil.
• I want to see buds and vines and flowers sprouting from trees and soil that look so lifeless.
• I want to see Srping? I want to see what is still unseen.
On days like this, when we awkwardly come together, searching for the right words, trying to give comfort … struggling for the right thing to say … on days like this when there is grief and sadness … when what we really want to see is comfort and joy … smiles and laughter. We want to see God? We want to see what is still unseen.
Transition/Objective: But how; how can we God? I believe we can see the unseen and experience God’s powerful presence … a presence that does bring comfort, hope and joy. I believe we can see the unseen by recognizing these three visible signs of His real presence. Signs in the right here … in the right now. Signs that make the unseen God seen.
#1 Signs of Faith
The first sign that makes and unseen God seen is FAITH. Today, those signs of faith have never been more evident.
• Your Faith Parents Names _______________ is a sign God is present … Parents Names _________, it was your faith that called us all here today. A faith that boldly declares this is where and how we say good bye … in the midst of and complete surrounded by a community of faith, we will come together to say good bye to ______________ … and God is present.
• The Community of Faith is a sign God is present. People that you will probably never meet both at Our Saviour’s and faith communities elsewhere are praying for you right now. They are praying because their faith tells them prayer matters. Their faith tells them that when others cannot find the words to pray, they will pray for you. They will pray on your behalf. And when that happens, the unseen God is seen.