Summary: This sermon is for Pentecost Sunday.
WHY WE SHOULD SEEK PEACE IN THE SPIRIT - PENTECOST 1
1. The Disciples Holy Spirit encounter
o Today we celebrate Pentecost
* Pentecost is a Greek word meaning 50th day
* It symbolizes the days that we have journeyed from Easter
* For Christian Pentecost recalls the descending of the Holy Spirit upon the disciples in the upper room - Thus signaling the inauguration of the church.
* Although this was a very pivotal and significant event in the life of the disciples and the church, what was even more paramount was their encounter with Jesus just after his resurrection.
o 1st time they encounter the spirit is when Jesus breathed on them.
o The disciples are about to experience a rude awakening. They would soon be thrust into ministry on their own. Jesus was crucified and They were terrified that they would be next. Their entire understanding of reality was crumbling.
o Jesus comes and gives them peace. he gives them His peace - and then he speaks the Holy Spirit into their lives.
o Jesus offers them peace in the Spirit.
As we look at our ever changing world and culture today we must ask ourselves, What is the most important thing we should be looking for?'
2. Why should you seek peace?
Life has a way of making you want to divide in half
o you fall apart
o you are fine one moment then you get news
* Bad news - Cancer (you go to the doctor and things change so quickly)
* Enough to make you fall apart
* you plan your life then things change
* life seems purposeless
* suicide is escalating
o If you feel like life is falling apart
o There is someone who is able to give you peace
3. Why should we look for peace in the spirit?
What is peace defined as?
* Inner peace (or peace of mind) refers to a state of being mentally and spiritually at peace, with enough knowledge and understanding to keep oneself strong in the face of discord or stress. Being "at peace" is considered by many to be healthy and the opposite of being stressed or anxious. Peace of mind is generally associated with bliss and happiness.
* David describes this peace in the words of the 23rd Psalm. He leads me by still waters.
* Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith
a. Why should we in life search for this peace in the Spirit.
* Because we are inherently looking for peace. We are biologically and psychologically fashioned to have peace. We need peace. Without peace we cannot function properly. You would go crazy.
* St Augustine of hippo said our hearts are restless until we find ourselves in thee.
b. Why should we seek peace in the Spirit?
Because the world cannot give us this peace
Some of us think we can find peace in worldly things; in money, in a house, in a car,
Some of us think we can find peace in others; in friendships, in women and men, in the politician
They will all let you down
* The peace that you are truly looking for can only come from the Holy Spirit.
* If you are looking for peace you can only find it from the store of the Holy Spirit