Summary: The Bible harbors records of God using ordinary people: David, Joseph, Peter, Paul, Gideon, Jephthah, Moses, Esther, Mary, etc. Yet we see our problems and say: "Those problems God can solve, but not mine". Dan. 11:32 "They that know their God shall be strong and do exploits".
LIMITING THE HOLY ONE OF ISRAEL (PART 3): MY GOD IS GOD OF THE MOUNTAIN AND GOD OF THE VALLEY
1. 1 Kings 20: 19 The junior officers under the provincial commanders marched out of the city with the army behind them 20 and each one struck down his opponent. At that, the Arameans (Syrians) fled, with the Israelites in pursuit. But Ben-Hadad king of Aram escaped on horseback with some of his horsemen. 21 The king of Israel advanced and overpowered the horses and chariots and inflicted heavy losses on the Arameans. 22 Afterward, the prophet came to the king of Israel and said, “Strengthen your position and see what must be done, because next spring the king of Aram will attack you again.” 23 Meanwhile, the officials of the king of Aram advised him, “Their gods are gods of the mountains. That is why they were too strong for us. But if we fight them on the plains, surely we will be stronger than they. 24 Do this: Remove all the kings from their commands and replace them with other officers. 25 You must also raise an army like the one you lost - horse for horse and chariot for chariot - so we can fight Israel on the plains. Then surely we will be stronger than they.” He agreed with them and acted accordingly. 26 The next spring Ben-Hadad mustered the Arameans and went up to Aphek to fight against Israel. 27 When the Israelites were also mustered and given provisions, they marched out to meet them. The Israelites camped opposite them like two small flocks of goats, while the Arameans covered the countryside. 28 The man of God (a prophet) came up and told the king of Israel, “This is what the Lord says: ‘Because the Arameans think the Lord is a god of the mountains and not a god of the valleys, I will deliver this vast army into your hands, and you will know that I am the Lord.’”
2. Psalm 78: 41 Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel.
INTRO: DO NOT LIMIT GOD (PT3) GOD IS GOD OF THE MOUNTAIN, VALLEY, PLAIN
Chief Questions This Series Will Project Are: In What Ways Do We Limit God? Why Do We Limit God? How Do We Take Off The Limits? The Results Of A Life Without Limiting God. Some Examples From The Bible & Our Own Lives.
WHAT IS A LIMIT?
Limit: A limit is a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass. The terminal point or boundary of an area or movement; the furthest extent of one's physical or mental endurance, a restriction on the size or amount of something permissible or possible, etc. God’s problem is not with the atheist, the agnostic, the infidel, the devotees of modern godless & political movements – it is with His own people who limit Him.
EXAMPLES OF PEOPLE GOD USES AND ENABLES
The Bible Harbors Records Of God Using Ordinary People: David, Joseph, Little Maid of Israel (2 Kings 5 – Naaman), Daniel & His Friends, Boy with His Lunch (John 6), Peter, Paul, Gideon, Jephthah, Moses, Esther, Elijah, Jacob, Samuel, Elisha, Mary, etc. We See These Great Examples But Still Maintain: “This other problem God cannot solve.” Daniel 11:32 But the people that do know their God shall be strong and do exploits.
WE LIMIT GOD BY PLACING LIMITS ON…
1. Healing: Jesus healed all who came to Him in faith. The apostle Peter healed individuals and the multitudes. The apostle Paul had a remarkable record of ministering divine healing.
2. The Miraculous: Do you think of miracles as only for “Bible days”, or do you believe that miracles are for you even today? Remember: “I am the Lord; I change not!” (Malachi 3:6).
3. God’s Provision: Remember Jesus miraculously multiplying the loaves and fish and feeding thousands. He’s the “same yesterday and today...” (Hebrews 13:8).
4. God’s Protection: The bible has examples of God’s sovereign, supernatural protection and deliverance of His people. Three Hebrew men in the fiery furnace. Daniel in the lion’s den. Peter freed from jail by an angel. Thousands fall around you, but it will not come near you.
5. Others: Don’t Limit God In Finances, Job, Medical Report, Immigration, etc.
MOUNTAINS, VALLEYS, PLAINS EXPERIENCE: FIGURATIVELY SPEAKING…
1. God Of Mountains Or Hilltops: No Matter The Victory…
Mountains Or Hills Represent The High Points In Our Lives, the times when we feel like we’re on top - moments of success & excitement. A Mountain Is A Place Of Accomplishments. During these moments, it is easy to praise God. Abraham: God revealed Himself to Abraham as Jehovah Jireh on Mt. Moriah. Moses: God gave the Law to Moses on Mount Sinai. Elijah: God spoke to Elijah in a still, small voice on Mount Horeb. Jesus: Jesus’ victory over the greatest temptations occurred on a mountain. Jesus: Jesus’ most glorious moment was on the Mount of Transfiguration. Jesus: He also ascended from the Mount of Olives. Psalm 121:1-2 “I will lift up my eyes unto the hills from when comes my help…” Mountaintop experiences are events that empower us and launch us into the plan of God. But we can’t remain on the mountain tops. We experience mountain tops to prepare us for the valleys where our faith is stretched.