Summary: Looking at some people's past, they should have never produced a Joseph. In our society, most people with Joseph's backgrounds are killers, jail birds, drunks, addicts, etc. But God’s Destiny on your life can be fulfilled even in the midst of thorns.
SERIES: RECOVERING STOLEN IDENTITY & RECLAIMING MISPLACED DESTINY: PART 4A: GOD CAN USE DETOURS TO GET YOU TO YOUR DESTINY - SIGNIFICANCE OF DETOURS TO JOSEPH’S DESTINY
1. Genesis 35:18: Rachel died while giving birth to the son. Before dying, she named the boy Benoni. But Jacob called him Benjamin.
2. Genesis 37: 18 But they saw him in the distance, and before he reached them, they plotted to kill him. 19 “Here comes that dreamer!” they said to each other. 20 “Come now, let’s kill him and throw him into one of these wells and say that a ferocious animal devoured him. Then we’ll see what comes of his dreams.” 23 So when Joseph came to his brothers, they stripped him of his robe - the ornamental robe he was wearing - 24 and they took him and threw him into the cistern. The cistern was empty; there was no water in it. 28 So when the Midianite merchants came by, his brothers pulled Joseph up out of the well and sold him for twenty shekels of silver to the Ishmaelites, who took him to Egypt.
3. Genesis 29:1 Now Joseph was taken to Egypt and Potiphar, an Egyptian who was one of Pharaoh’s officials, the captain of the guard, bought him from the Ishmaelites who had taken him there. 6 …Now Joseph was well-built and handsome, 7 and after a while his master’s wife took notice of Joseph and said, “Come to bed with me!” 8 But he refused. 16 She kept his cloak beside her until his master came home. 17 Then she told him this story: “That Hebrew slave you brought us came to me to make sport of me. 18 But as soon as I screamed for help, he left his cloak beside me and ran out of the house.” 19 When his master heard the story his wife told him, saying, “This is how your slave treated me,” he burned with anger. 20 Joseph’s master took him and put him in prison, the place where the king’s prisoners were confined.
4. Genesis 40:23 The chief cupbearer, however, did not remember Joseph; he forgot him.
5. Genesis 41: 1 When two full years had passed, Pharaoh had a dream… 39 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. 40 You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you.” 41 So Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I hereby put you in charge of the whole land of Egypt.” 42 Then Pharaoh took his signet ring from his finger and put it on Joseph’s finger. He dressed him in robes of fine linen and put a gold chain around his neck. 43 He had him ride in a chariot as his second-in-command, and people shouted before him, “Make way!” Thus he put him in charge of the whole land of Egypt. 44 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I am Pharaoh, but without your word no one will lift hand or foot in all Egypt.”
INTRO: “Recovering Stolen Identity & Reclaiming Misplaced Destiny (Part 4A) God Can Use Detours To Get You To Your Destiny (Taking A Tour Through Your Detours)” (TEACH)
ABOUT STOLEN IDENTITY AND MISPLACED DESTINY AMONG GOD’S PEOPLE.
1. Identity: Answers The Question: ‘Who has God called me to be?’
2. Destiny: Answers The Question: ‘What has God called me to do?’
Identity Theft - When information about you is stolen by someone else and used without your permission. They dumpster dive, use pop-ups, skim your credit card number from a machine, steal your change-of-address info, scam you through a phone call, or just rob you. They pretend to be you and take what is yours! Identity theft also occurs with Christians all the time. Satan steals your true identity through defeat, discouragement, delay, denial and deception about your real destiny.
IDENTITY THEFT IN THE REAL WORLD.
Illustration: Farmer, Eaglet, Naturalist (Outside Barn, Roof Of House, Mountaintop Sun)
YOUR IMAGE AND PURPOSE ON THE PLANET
1 Peter 2:9-10 9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.
1. Our Privileges: 1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession. First, A Chosen Race. Second, A Royal Priesthood. Third, A Holy Nation. Fourth, A People For God’s Own Possession.