Summary: Bitterness & Resentment are two sides of the same coin. Resentment is the attitude people have toward someone or something. Bitterness is the accompanying inner feeling defined as unpleasant, angry, hostile, sour, resentful. Both hurt...
SERIES: “WOW! WHOSE YOUNG DAUGHTER IS THAT? (PART 3) HOW TO GET OUT OF MARAH, THE LAND OF BITTERNESS”
1. Ruth 1: 1 In the days when the judges ruled, there was a famine in the land. So a man from Bethlehem in Judah, together with his wife and two sons, went to live for a while in the country of Moab. 2 The man’s name was Elimelek, his wife’s name was Naomi, and the names of his two sons were Mahlon and Chilion. They were Ephrathites (Ephraim – “fruitful)) from Bethlehem, Judah. And they went to Moab and lived there. 3 Now Elimelek, Naomi’s husband, died, and she was left with her two sons. 4 They married Moabite women, one named Orpah and the other Ruth. After they had lived there about ten years, 5 both Mahlon and Chilion also died, and Naomi was left without her two sons and her husband. 18 When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her. 19 So the two women went on until they came to Bethlehem. When they arrived in Bethlehem, the whole town was stirred because of them, and the women exclaimed, “Can this be Naomi?” 20 “Don’t call me Naomi,” she told them. “Call me Mara, because the Almighty has made my life very bitter. 21 I went away full, but the Lord has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi? The Lord has afflicted me; the Almighty has brought misfortune upon me.” 22 So Naomi returned from Moab accompanied by Ruth the Moabite, her daughter-in-law, arriving in Bethlehem as the barley harvest was beginning.
2. Ruth 2: 5 Then Boaz said to his servant who was in charge of the reapers, “Wow! Whose Young Daughter Is That?”
INTRO: SERIES – “Wow! Whose Young Daughter Is That: PT3 – Getting Out Of Mara”
SERIES: An Intro (God Can Change Your Story); Love Is More Than Kissing; Getting Out Of Mara – Dealing With Bitterness; Behold A Woman Lay At His Feet - Marriage Before Sex; Characteristics Of A Good Spouse; Here Comes The Bride; When The Honeymoon Is Over - How Satan Attacks Christian Marriages; What Do You Do When You Realize You’ve Married The Wrong Person; The In-Laws Factor; You Can Begin Again (About Divorce Or Death); Life Without A Spouse, Etc.
IN FAMILIES OR MARRIAGES - KINDS OF SUFFERING FAMILIES GO THROUGH
The Unseen Future: Example: Elimelech ("God is my king") marries Naomi ("sweet one"). A marriage made in heaven. "God is my King" & "sweet one" have 2 kids – Mahlon ("sickly") and Chilion (“wasting away"). Why were 2 sickly kids born to such wonderful couple? Why did famine come? Why does a hard worker lose his / her job? Why do kids die? Why are we disappointed though committed to relationships? Why does anyone face illness? Why do natural disasters occur?
GOOD BIBLE VERSES ABOUT SORROW
1. Eccl 3:4 A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.
2. James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
3. Psalm 30:5 For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.
4. Ecclesiastes 7:2 It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting...
5. Matt. 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Source Of Suffering Who’s Responsible Who’s Affected Needed Response
Avoidable Physical / Natural Disaster -
Earthquake, Hurricane Those Who Ignored The Fact Or To Take Precaution Most Of Those Exposed To The Cause Prevent, If Possible, Prepare If Cannot Prevent
Unavoidable Physical / Natural Disaster (Same) God, Satan Most Of Those Present On-going Trust In God’s Faithfulness
Your Sins (Murder, Theft, Lies, Pride, Etc.) Sinner And Others Who Allowed The Sin Probably Many Including Those Who Sinned Active Resistance To Sinful Behavior And Sinner
My Sins (Drugs, Adultery, Lies, Arrogance, etc) I Am Me And Others Repent, Confess, Accept Consequences
GOD WARNS US AGAINST BITTERNESS AND RESENTMENT
1. Heb. 12:14-15 "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many".
2. Eph. 4:31-32 "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you".
3. Rom. 12:14-21: "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse… Do not repay anyone evil for evil… If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord…"