Summary: We need to be serious fishers of men!
Sermon for 1/12/03
A. My fishing at the farm pond. Not serious, just wanted to get away.
B. Fishing with my grandpa. Little more serious. Fun but serious.
C. Fishing at a bass tournament
1. Pay a registration fee and then an entry fee. Compete for cash, new boat, etc.
2. Fishers of Men is a Christian Fishing Tournament. Friday night Pre-Tournament meetings where contestants receive a free meal, lots of door prizes, and an inspirational message. It is a non-profit ministry. Want to put the program on a Christian TV station.
3. National Tournament for 2002- Ladd Whicker and Steve Sink brought their record setting catch to the stage. Al heaved the heavy contents into the basket and placed on the lid. A hush came over the crowd as the scales were trying to settle down, then Al made the call, “23.52 pounds, looks like we have some new leaders!” For the first place finish the new Fishers Of Men National Champions received a fully rigged 2003 TR-20 Triton, powered by a 200hp Mercury.
A. Beliefs and attitudes toward fishing for fish affect the outcome.
B. Beliefs and attitudes and convictions toward fishing for men affect the outcome as well.
Thesis: 3 beliefs are detrimental to fishing for men, they come from the devil.
1. Jesus Christ is not the only way to salvation.
1. I am the bread of life.
2. I am the light of the world.
3. (John 10:9 NIV) I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture.
5. (John 15:5 NIV) "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.(John 15:6 NIV) If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
6. (Rev 1:18 NIV) I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.
7. (John 14:6 NIV) Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
B. Buddists, Muslims, Jewish, Zoaraster, Shintu, Ancestor Worship, they’ll be OK even if they don’t believe in Jesus. Just as long as you are sincere. Many ways to get from here to Indianapolis. However, we should be thankful for the one way that God has provided.
C. Those groups who mess with Jesus. Jesus was just an angel. Jesus was a Son of God just like we can be. Jesus appeared to Indians, etc. (Gal 1:8 NIV) But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!
D. (2 John 1:7 NIV) Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist.(2 John 1:9 NIV) Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
E. Most dangerous, there good people and surely God will let good people into heaven. Ethics, morals don’t save.
F. (James 2:10 NIV) For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
G. Story of Great-Grandpa Strong and Hugh Strong.
H. (Heb 10:29 NIV) How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?
2. There is no such thing as hell.
1. (Mark 9:48 NIV) where "’their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.’
2. (Luke 16:23 NIV) In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.(Luke 16:24 NIV) So he called to him, ’Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’
B. In college, Pop Lewis. (Mat 25:41 NIV) "Then he will say to those on his left, ’Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.(Mat 25:46 NIV) "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."