Summary: When we follow Jesus, we find satisfaction.
Th: “I am the bread of life.”
Pr: When we follow Jesus, we find satisfaction.
The _____ lesson is…
I. Motivation (22-27)
II. Mandate (28-29)
III. Misconception (30-33)
IV. Matchlessness (34-40)
RMBC 23 June 02 AM
ILL Notebook: Eat (What’s wrong with me?)
A man walks into a doctor’s office. He has a sausage coming out of his ear, a waffle coming out of his nose, and bacon coming out of his other ear. He says with great anxiety, “Doc, what’s wrong with me?!?”
The doctor replies, “This is easy. You’re not eating properly.”
Do you ever have a problem with food?
I must make a confession this morning.
I have an eating problem.
I eat too much!
If you have the same problem, I want you to follow these important facts that will help you live healthier:
ILL Notebook: Health (it will kill you!)
1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
2. On the other hand, the French eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
3. The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
4. The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
5. Conclusion: Eat and drink what you like. It’s speaking English that kills you.
Now that is a helpful conclusion!
In our text today, Jesus talks about bread.
In the culture of that day, bread was the food item meals were built around.
In fact, every culture seems to base their diet on some kind of starch, because it is filling and satisfying.
But when Jesus talked about bread, He has a whole lot more in mind than His listeners.
We return today to the gospel of John.
You may remember a few weeks ago, we studied an event that is known as “The Feeding of the 5,000.”
It was truly a tremendous event, for…
1. People were amazed when Jesus had fed so many with so little.
He fed over 5,000 people from five loaves and two fish.
And when He did this, Jesus fanned the flames of enthusiasm.
People were ready for the Messiah.
They were weary of Rome’s occupation of their homeland, but they needed a greater power to do something about it.
So now there is an excitement and eagerness in the air, for Jesus was truly looking like the real thing.
2. As a result, people became even more interested in following Jesus.
Here is a man that does miracles.
He really cares about people.
He heals you and forgives you.
Not only that, He feeds you too!
It is at this point, though, Jesus was looking for a larger context.
He truly did want to feed His people, but it was so much more than a physical matter.
It was much larger than what they thought they needed.
3. WHEN WE FOLLOW JESUS, WE FIND SATISFACTION.
This morning, we are going to explore the nature of this satisfaction.
But to do this…