Summary: Sermon IV on the Series of Loving People into the Kingdom, Don't Just Go to Church Be the Church
CATLETTSBURG SOUTHSIDE CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE
SUNDAY- FEBRUARY 23, 2014
SERIES: “LOVING PEOPLE INTO THE KINGDOM”
TEXT: LUKE 10:17-21a
This is the last Sunday in a series that we have been preaching through the month of February about “Loving People into the Kingdom.” Sub-title, “Don’t Just Go To Church But Be The Church.”
First Sunday we looked at the story of the Good Samaritan found also in Luke 10.
Second Sunday we looked at Jesus Mission Statement found in Luke 4, His first sermon He preached when He declared that the Spirit of the Lord was upon Him and had anointed Him to:
• Preach the gospel to the poor
• To heal the brokenhearted
• To proclaim freedom to the captives
• To recover sight to the blind
• Set at liberty those that were oppressed
• To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord or what was known as the Year of Jubilee.
• The key to that sermon was this, “Jesus looks at people with compassion.”
Last Sunday night we looked at two of Jesus Parables, in fact they are the two shortest parables that Jesus told; the Parable of the Mustard Seed and the Parable of the Leaven, found in Luke 13.
Jesus teaching that it is not always the big things that matter. Bigger is not always better. God sees little things that are done with the right motive than the big things that are done for vain glory.
Location or size of service has little to do with how God measures our service. Obedient service is always in response to what Christ has already done for us.
Our small acts of compassion are in reaction to Christ’s redemptive actions at the cross.
TEXT - LUKE 10:17-23
THE SEVENTY SENT OUT
Jesus has sent 70 disciples out to visit every city and place where He Himself was about to go.
The ordination for these 70 disciples to be honest wasn’t very encouraging. Jesus made statements to them like:
• You will drive a new Cadillac?
• You will live in a great big mansion with an air conditioned dog house?
• You are going to be rich and have everything you want?
No! That is not what Jesus said at all.
• I am sending you out like lambs among wolves
• Don’t take anything extra with you like purses, suitcases or extra shoes. Some of you ladies would be saying, “Oh wait just a minute.”
• Don’t get attached to people along the way.
• Stay with the people who receive you and eat and drink what they set before you.
THE SEVENTY COME BACK
When the 70 came back they are pumped. They are into this ministry.
“Then the seventy returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name."
They were probably whooping and hollering, excited, talking about all the things that had happen on their evangelistic crusade.
TAKE HOME TRUTH #1- FAITH WITH GOD’S POWER MAKES AN IMPACT!
Jesus said something to them, which has always bugged me until I prepared for this sermon.