Summary: What makes an anonymous woman to become great?
THE SEVEN MARKS OF THE GREAT MOTHERS
Mat 15:21 Then Jesus went out from there and departed to the region of Tyre and Sidon.
Mat 15:22 And behold, a woman of Canaan came from that region and cried out to Him, saying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely demon-possessed.”
Mat 15:23 But He answered her not a word.
And His disciples came and urged Him, saying, “Send her away, for she cries out after us.”
Mat 15:24 But He answered and said, “I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
Mat 15:25 Then she came and worshiped Him, saying, “Lord, help me!”
Mat 15:26 But He answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”
Mat 15:27 And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.”
Mat 15:28 Then Jesus answered and said to her, “O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed from that very hour.
I. THEY OVERCOME ALL GREAT BARRIERS
• She overcome the wall of inferiority (She is woman)
• She cross the sea of anonymity (She is a gentile)
• She climb the mountain of diversity (She is Canaanites)
II. THEY ARE EMPOWERED BY GREAT LOVE
• Her love is powerful than her fear
• Her love is powerful than her shame
• Her love is powerful than all her hardship and sacrifice combined
III. THEY ARE ARMED WITH GREAT DETERMINATION
• She conquered the test of patience in divine silence (Jesus did not answer)
• She conquered the test of doubt and discouragement (send her away)
• She conquered the test of rejection (I was sent only to...Israel)
• She conquered the test of humbleness (It is not right.... to dogs)
IV. THEY KNOW THE POWER OF GREAT PRAYER
• She acknowledge the Lordship of Jesus (Worship)
• She know from whom she can get the answer for her great need (Lord)
• She admits she can’t manage her life without God (help)
• She confessed that she need God personally (me)
V. THEY ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR OWN GREAT SPIRITUAL NEED
• She admits that she is unworthy being a sinner before God (Yes Lord)
• She was humble enough to acknowledge her hopelessness without God (dog)
• She only ask for grace and mercy at the Master’s table(crumbs)
VI. THEY TRIUMPH BECAUSE OF GREAT FAITH
• She received great commendation (you have a great faith)
• She received great approval(Your request is granted)
• She received great miracle (her daughter was healed)
VII. THEY DON’T NEED A NAME TO BE A GREAT MOTHERS
• She is poor woman
• She is outcast Canaanite Gentile
• She doesn’t even have a name
• But she was elevated among the greats by no less than God
I asked God, Lord why you did not even reveal the name of this great woman of faith. Isn’t it unfair for her? Then God speak in my heart.... I did it so that whenever you are reading this story, you can put the name of your own mother on her behalf... Then God reminded me all the sacrifice of my own mother so that I become what I am today....
If you have been blessed, encouraged or inspired by this sermon then it’s your turn to be an encouragement too. You can do it by sending email to this contributor at firstname.lastname@example.org or post comment on the discussion box below.