Summary: ❶ . THE SON WAS CRUCIFIED ❷ . THE SON OF GOD WAS MAGNIFIED ❸ . THE FATHER WAS SATISFIED ❹ . THE SAINTS ARE EDIFIED ❺ . AM I QUALIFIED?
One day, a poor boy who was selling goods from door to door to pay his way through school, found he had only one thin dime left, and he was hungry. He decided he would ask for a meal at the next house. However, he lost his nerve when a lovely young woman opened the door. Instead of a meal he asked for a drink of water. She thought he looked hungry so brought him a large glass of milk. He drank it slowly, and then asked, "How much do I owe you?"
"You don’t owe me anything," she replied. "Mother has taught us never to accept pay for a kindness." He said..... "Then I thank you from my heart."
As Howard Kelly left that house, he not only felt stronger physically, but his faith in God and man was strong also. He had been ready to give up and quit.
Year’s later that young woman became critically ill. the local doctors were baffled. They finally sent her to the big city, where they called in specialists to study her rare disease. Dr. Howard Kelly was called in for the consultation. When he heard the name of the town she came from, a strange light filled his eyes. Immediately he rose and went down the hall of the hospital to her room. Dressed in his doctor’s gown he went in to see her. He recognized her at once. He went back to the consultation room determined to do his best to save her life. From that day he gave special attention to the case. After a long struggle, the battle was won. Dr. Kelly requested the business office to pass the final bill to him for approval. He looked at it, then wrote something on the edge and the bill was sent to her room. She feared to open it, for she was sure it would take the rest of her life to pay for it all. Finally she looked, and something caught her attention on the side of the bill. She read these words.....
"Paid in full with one glass of milk"
Dr. Howard Kelly.
Tears of joy flooded her eyes as her happy heart prayed: "Thank You, God, that Your love has spread abroad through hearts
❶ . THE SON WAS CRUCIFIED
1. Jesus now gathers his last physical strength and utters a single word in the Greek "TETELESTAI"....
- "Tetelestai." The most powerful single word of all of Jesus ministry.
- It was also his last word to the world
- Salvation Available
- Tetelestai comes from the verb teleo,
Means "to bring to an end,
- To complete,
- To accomplish.
- Said the same word v.28 “were now accomplished”
- This is an interesting word, it is an accounting term!! - Archaeologists have found tax receipts of that day with the Latin equivalent on it, the meaning is "PAID IN FULL"!
- Jesus’ choice of this word to cry "IT IS FINISHED"
- A great shout of victory......PAID IN FULL!"
2. This accounting term meant the debt for sin has been "PAID IN FULL"
- This was no statement of defeat, it was the shout of victory!
- What man could not do, Christ did!
❷ . THE SON OF GOD WAS MAGNIFIED
Gen .1:2 - Notice at creation there was also "darkness" as at the cross,
Gen 1:3 - God creates something that will conquer the darkness...it is "light".
- This light was victorious over darkness
- The light ruled over darkness
John 8:12 (AV)
12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
- He conquers darkness at the cross!
- Christ burst forth from the tomb in a bright light!
- He rules over darkness today!
- He still knows best how to restore man, for He created everything!
ILLUS: In the early days of the automobile a man’s Model-T Ford stalled in the middle of the road. He couldn’t get it started no matter how hard he cranked nor how much he tried to advance the spark or adjust things under the hood. Just then a chauffeured limousine pulled up behind him, and a wiry, energetic man stepped out from the back seat and offered his assistance. After tinkering for a few moments the stranger said, "Now try it!" Immediately the engine leaped to life. The well-dressed individual then identified himself as Henry Ford. "I designed and built these cars," he said, "so I know what to do when something goes wrong." God, as our creator knows how to "fix" us when our lives are broken by sin.
❸ . THE FATHER WAS SATISFIED
Demands were Decreased
Death was Demoted