Summary: ❶. "FATHER”, into your hands I commit my spirit ❷ . Father, into “YOUR HANDS” I commit my spirit ❸ . Father into your hands “I” commit my spirit ❹ . Father, into your hands I “COMMIT” my spirit ❺ . Father, into yo
Lk. 23:46-49 – Found only in Luke
“Change You Can Believe In
- 2008 Campaign slogan
- Obama promised it during his campaign and he is certainly offering plenty of change.
- /09 One of the changes he made during the first few months of his administration was to remove the Bible quotes at the top of his daily briefings.
- Obama “No need for National Day of Prayer” CNN /09
- "Whatever we once were, we are no longer a Christian nation." Turkey CNN /06
- Jesus give us a real change we can believe in
❶. "FATHER”, into your hands I commit my spirit
- Up to the cross He had fellowship with the Father
- "Father." often upon his lips.
- Jesus first words was about His Father – Luke 2:49 (AV)
49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?
- Sermon on the Mount He speaks of the "Father in 15vs.
- Upper Room discourse of John 14-16 - 43x
- Jesus last talk with His disciples - John 14:6 (AV)
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
- High Priestly prayer John 17 (F.- 6x) - thine, thee, thy 46x
John 17:1 (AV)
1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:
- In the Garden – Luke 22:42 (AV)
42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
- Jesus' first word upon the cross was to the Father– Luke 23:34
34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.
- His last word is to the Father: – Luke 23:46 (AV)
46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
- What is on your lips?
Now all is done. "It is finished,"
- The cup of God's wrath is now drained
- The darkness is over.
- Once more in communion with the Father
- "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."
Whom Jesus calls Father we can call Father
- All because of Christ and His work upon the cross.
- How amazing & wonderful this is
- Giving us - Comfort, Assurance, Love, Care, Supply
1 John 3:1 (AV)
1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
❷ . Father, into “YOUR HANDS” I commit my spirit
- Christ had foretold He would be in the hands of men.
- 3x times He said - Lk 9:22 - Lk 9:44, Lk 18:32
In the Garden of Gethsemane - Mt 26:45-46
Easter morning the angels made reference - Lk 24:6-7
- It wouldn't have been difficult for Christ to avoid this
- His word lay the arresting soldiers to the ground - Jn 18:6
- He could call 12 legions of angels - Matthew 26:53 (AV)
53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
- Legion - 6200 foot and 300 horse, = 78,000 men
- 2 Ki 19:35 – One angel killed 185,000 Assyrians
- For more than twelve hours Christ was in the hands of men.
- Of His free will, he gave Himself into the hands of sinners.
- Today we give of ourselves to the easy life, entertainment
- Now he gives himself by free will to His Father.
Do you know what this means?
Never again will Christ be in the hands of men.
Never again will He be at the mercy of the wicked.
Never again will He suffer shame.
Into the hands of the Father He commits Himself
What happens to Christ in the Father's hands?
In three days God will raise Him from the grave.
Forty days after that the Father will exalt Him
One day the tables will be turned He will judge
Once men cried out, Crucify him!" - Jn 19:15
There will come a time when He shall say, "Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire ..Mt 25:41
❸ . Father into your hands “I” commit my spirit
> John 10:17–18 (AV)
17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I + ight take it again.