Summary: ❶. "FATHER”, into your hands I commit my spirit ❷ . Father, into “YOUR HANDS” I commit my spirit ❸ . Father into your hands “I” commit my spirit ❹ . Father, into your hands I “COMMIT” my spirit ❺ . Father, into yo
Lk. 23:46-49 – Found only in Luke
“Change You Can Believe In
- 2008 Campaign slogan
- Obama promised it during his campaign and he is certainly offering plenty of change.
- /09 One of the changes he made during the first few months of his administration was to remove the Bible quotes at the top of his daily briefings.
- Obama “No need for National Day of Prayer” CNN /09
- "Whatever we once were, we are no longer a Christian nation." Turkey CNN /06
- Jesus give us a real change we can believe in
❶. "FATHER”, into your hands I commit my spirit
- Up to the cross He had fellowship with the Father
- "Father." often upon his lips.
- Jesus first words was about His Father – Luke 2:49 (AV)
49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?
- Sermon on the Mount He speaks of the "Father in 15vs.
- Upper Room discourse of John 14-16 - 43x
- Jesus last talk with His disciples - John 14:6 (AV)
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
- High Priestly prayer John 17 (F.- 6x) - thine, thee, thy 46x
John 17:1 (AV)
1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:
- In the Garden – Luke 22:42 (AV)
42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
- Jesus' first word upon the cross was to the Father– Luke 23:34
34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.
- His last word is to the Father: – Luke 23:46 (AV)
46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
- What is on your lips?
Now all is done. "It is finished,"
- The cup of God's wrath is now drained
- The darkness is over.
- Once more in communion with the Father
- "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."
Whom Jesus calls Father we can call Father
- All because of Christ and His work upon the cross.
- How amazing & wonderful this is
- Giving us - Comfort, Assurance, Love, Care, Supply
1 John 3:1 (AV)
1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
❷ . Father, into “YOUR HANDS” I commit my spirit
- Christ had foretold He would be in the hands of men.
- 3x times He said - Lk 9:22 - Lk 9:44, Lk 18:32
In the Garden of Gethsemane - Mt 26:45-46
Easter morning the angels made reference - Lk 24:6-7
- It wouldn't have been difficult for Christ to avoid this
- His word lay the arresting soldiers to the ground - Jn 18:6
- He could call 12 legions of angels - Matthew 26:53 (AV)
53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
- Legion - 6200 foot and 300 horse, = 78,000 men