Summary: It was a time when the people of Israel were filled with fear
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
1 Sept. 2013
SHAMGAR: THE OBSCURE SAVIOR
Intro: Bible/filled/tales/obscure people who appear/pages/Bible and then promptly disappear.
• These people step out/shadows
• used mightily/Lord then they fade away
• Most of them never being mentioned again.
Among those that come to mind are:
David’s mighty men: 2 Sam. 23:8-12
Josheb – He killed 800 men/one time/spear.
Eleazar/stood boldly/day of battle
• Fought so long/killed/many Philistines
• Hand would not open/allow him/release his sword.
• Fought/Philistines/God gave him a great victory.
The Widow of Zarephath – 1 Kings 17 – She fed the prophet Elijah and sheltered him during a famine.
The Israelite Maid who told Naaman about the Man of God – 2 Kings 5:1-4
• Told her master about/God of Israel
• This led/his cleansing/leprosy/his spiritual conversion.
• He gave/little he possessed
• God used/tiny portion/food/feed/vast multitude/people.
Woman who anointed/Lord/washed His feet/her hair
• She performed/labor/sacrificial love/Lord Jesus.
Joseph of Arimathea
Seems/God chooses/use those who are unknown and obscure to accomplish His work in this world.
• The passage before us is no exception.
• Introduced to a man/Shamgar.
• He/unknown man/appears/pages/Word/God
• used by God/great way
• Then vanished back into/shadows/he came.
• Not much is known about Shamgar.
• He is only mentioned twice in the Bible. 3:31 and 5:6
• What is said about him reveals a man/character/courage.
• The little information we are given reveals a man whom God used in a great way.
I want to study Shamgar today.
• Three observations about this man.
• I want you to see Shamgar The Worker/Warrior/Winner.
I. SHAMGAR THE WORKER
• “Shamgar” means either “sword” or “cupbearer”.
• Either name would fit/details we have concerning this man.
• He was like a “sword” hand of God
• God used him/destroy/enemies/Israel.
• He/like “cupbearer” who brought cup/God’s wrath to those God would judge.
One thing we know for sure about Shamgar he was farmer.
• He carried and fought with an “oxgoad”
• Ox goad was not a weapon/agricultural tool.
• Pole some 8/10 feet/2 in/diameter.
• One end long iron point/used/encourage/oxen to move
• Other end shaped spade
• used to clean wet clay, roots/impediments off plow points.
Another thing we know/Shamgar has to do/time which he lived.
• It was a very difficult time for the people of Israel.
• Judges chapters 4-5
• Oppressed by Jabin, the King of Canaan.
• Possessed 900 iron chariots