Summary: It was a time when the people of Israel were filled with fear
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
1 Sept. 2013
SHAMGAR: THE OBSCURE SAVIOR
Intro: Bible/filled/tales/obscure people who appear/pages/Bible and then promptly disappear.
• These people step out/shadows
• used mightily/Lord then they fade away
• Most of them never being mentioned again.
Among those that come to mind are:
David’s mighty men: 2 Sam. 23:8-12
Josheb – He killed 800 men/one time/spear.
Eleazar/stood boldly/day of battle
• Fought so long/killed/many Philistines
• Hand would not open/allow him/release his sword.
• Fought/Philistines/God gave him a great victory.
The Widow of Zarephath – 1 Kings 17 – She fed the prophet Elijah and sheltered him during a famine.
The Israelite Maid who told Naaman about the Man of God – 2 Kings 5:1-4
• Told her master about/God of Israel
• This led/his cleansing/leprosy/his spiritual conversion.
• He gave/little he possessed
• God used/tiny portion/food/feed/vast multitude/people.
Woman who anointed/Lord/washed His feet/her hair
• She performed/labor/sacrificial love/Lord Jesus.
Joseph of Arimathea
Seems/God chooses/use those who are unknown and obscure to accomplish His work in this world.
• The passage before us is no exception.
• Introduced to a man/Shamgar.
• He/unknown man/appears/pages/Word/God
• used by God/great way
• Then vanished back into/shadows/he came.
• Not much is known about Shamgar.
• He is only mentioned twice in the Bible. 3:31 and 5:6
• What is said about him reveals a man/character/courage.
• The little information we are given reveals a man whom God used in a great way.
I want to study Shamgar today.
• Three observations about this man.
• I want you to see Shamgar The Worker/Warrior/Winner.
I. SHAMGAR THE WORKER
• “Shamgar” means either “sword” or “cupbearer”.
• Either name would fit/details we have concerning this man.
• He was like a “sword” hand of God
• God used him/destroy/enemies/Israel.
• He/like “cupbearer” who brought cup/God’s wrath to those God would judge.
One thing we know for sure about Shamgar he was farmer.
• He carried and fought with an “oxgoad”
• Ox goad was not a weapon/agricultural tool.
• Pole some 8/10 feet/2 in/diameter.
• One end long iron point/used/encourage/oxen to move
• Other end shaped spade
• used to clean wet clay, roots/impediments off plow points.
Another thing we know/Shamgar has to do/time which he lived.
• It was a very difficult time for the people of Israel.
• Judges chapters 4-5
• Oppressed by Jabin, the King of Canaan.
• Possessed 900 iron chariots
• His army seemed totally unbeatable.
• custom those days,would not allow/Israelites to arm themselves
It was a time when the people of Israel were filled with fear
• They/afraid/travel/highways because/their oppressors.
• Afraid/live/their homes because/who invaded/attacked them.
• It seems that while Israel was oppressed by Canaan
• They were also under attack from the Philistines.
• We will talk more about them in a moment.
One/great lessons take away/Shamgar/God tends use those who are already busy.
• When God called Shamgar/called a man who already busy.
• Shamgar/man/actively working/feed/care/his family.
• When the enemy came
• God used Shamgar as His chosen instrument.
God does not use lazy people in any great fashion.
• When He looks/church/places His hands/folk to use them
• Chooses those who/actively engaged His work already.
• need remember He saved us to serve Him
As you are faithful to work small tasks He assigns you, He will open up larger and more important avenues of service.
If He can’t trust you to do the small tasks He will never use you in greater ways, Luke 10:16.
Day in which we live is a hard day/servants/Lord.
It seems/government/society/growing their hatred/Lord/His work.
• Hearts/becoming continually harder against the message of the Gospel and the Lord’s call to salvation.
• It is a hard day to raise families.
• It is hard day to be in the ministry.
However, these are days/Lord/chosen/us to live and work.
I challenge you to do the best you can where you are.
• Serve the Lord in your home/Sunday School class
• Choir/youth group/outreach ministry
• In any way you can find.
• The Lord is watching!
• He takes note of your faithful service
• He will bless you and use you here.
• You can be sure that He will reward you when you get home.
II. SHAMGAR THE WARRIOR
As I said a moment ago, Israelites being oppressed Canaanites under King Jabin/his powerful army.
• Jabin/disarmed/Israelites/made them weak military
• Not/position to defend themselves.
This provided an opportunity for/Philistines
• Warlike people who lived near the Mediterranean Sea, to take advantage of the situation.
• They would invade Israel/capture slave/steal crops/destroy villages.
• When the Philistines came
• Most of the people/Israel would flee in terror.