Summary: How to stand against the devil
TITLE: "Shield of Faith"
INTRO: July 1979, candidate for President Ronald Reagan visited NORAD (North
American Defense Command in Colorado Springs, CO. inside Cheyenne, MT.) This visit changed his life, changed the future of our country. Learned how we could detect any launch from around the world. He saw how we would react when we detected a launch, deciphering if it was an ICBM, Rocket test, or some other type of missile. Finding out exactly where it was launched and where it was going to detonate, he saw the red phone direct line to the President. He heard about doctrine of MADD (Mutually Assured Destruction) were anyone attacking us, we would retaliate with everything we have, both parties totally destroyed. Reagan saw how our bombers would scramble, submarines, & ICBM would react in such an emergency.
He asked question, what will stop these incoming missiles & he was shocked to hear nothing. March 1983 President Reagan came up with (SDI) - Strategic Defense intuitive better known as Star Wars, system that would basically provide a shield over our nation to protect us from incoming missiles (wonderful concept). - Christ come up with this concept centuries before "Shield of Faith"
I. Shield of Faith - Eph. 6:10-11, 16 (read)
- God has given us a way of fire-proofing our spiritual wardrobe because the enemy will be attacking you (pleasant thought)
Peter puts it this way I Peter 4:12 "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you!!"
- Typical day in the life of a Christian so fire-proof your wardrobe.
A. What is this shield - 2 kinds the Romans used
1. Small round Frisbee type shield - strapped to arm (Sparticus movie
2. Door like shield - GK thyrion 2 ft. wide by 4 ft. long. Two thick boards were put one on top of the other, Outwood wrapped in leather, inner wood wrapped in metal.
- This shield was a mighty weapon kind of like a tank.
- This shield of Faith is what Paul is encouraging us to pick up.
a. Notice verse 16 (read insert some for all) - NO
1. What are these fiery arrows - constantly shoot at Christian soldiers, forms of lies Satan whispers in your ears, evil thoughts, accusations, doubts (ever have any of these)
- Take up the Shield of Faith but many of us have come to church with arrows sticking out of us and we’ve been burned or scorched (Why: Because we have not picked up the Shield of Faith).
b. Why isn’t the Shield of Belief - difference between faith & belief
- Belief is an inward conviction, faith not only inward conviction but also an outward action.
- Belief is excepting the promises of God that you have in Bible
- Faith is acting on the promises of God
- Belief is what we base our life on
- Faith is how we live out our Christian life
- Believe is putting Belt of Truth, Breastplate of Righteousness, Shoes of Peace on.
- Shield of Faith not only picking it up but also moving out (faith in action - not just believing.)
ex. Baseball player have basic equipment (glove, shirt, cleats, sox, pants) but when go into action into different positions and start playing (that’s taking your Shield of Faith & start advancing)
- Many have been sitting on the bench but I feel stir in the dugout!
1. Review - Belt of Truth, Breastplate of Righteousness, Gospel Shoes of Peace - GK grammar past tense - (meaning receive Christ we have these) but Shield of Faith different, we have to step out! - We have to act (God not going to act for us), some of us have been in a war but some have not been at war. (God wants everyone to join the front lines.)
2. Paul saying were ready let go, and engage the enemy. Many have arrows because they’ve been in a foxhole, behind sandbags, just hanging on, time pickup shield and move out (won’t have shield unless you move out in faith).
c. What does this mean?
Q: What are you trusting God for in your life, that unless He does it, it’s not going to happen?
- This is what it means to pick up the Shield of Faith.
Sadly: Most of us are not trusting Him for anything (we accept His Son as Savior but that’s as far as we’ve come, got Belt of Truth, Breastplate of Righteousness, Shoes of Peace, don’t have the shield because we’re not moving out.
- Have defensive weapons but no offensive. If you’re not trusting God for anything you don’t have the shield & are being hit with flaming arrows.
d. I’m believing