Summary: Our question for this evening is this “is it wrong to consult with a psychic or the spirits?” This we have specific commands about.
Title: Consulting Mediums, spirits and Spiritualist is it wrong
Subject: The occult and the Christian
Introduction: Our question for this evening is this “is it wrong to consult with a psychic or the spirits?” This we have specific commands about. God gave Moses clear instructions on this and it applies to us just as much today as it did then. Our nation is filled with Spiritualist, psychic hot lines even Ouija boards can be bought for kids to play with. The newspapers have daily horror scopes listed in them. People follow these things daily.
Core: But should we as Christians be delving into these things. That is the jest of the question, what does God say about it and where can we go find scripture to back up our position. The O.T. was clear on it Deuteronomy, Leviticus and 1st Samuel all have verses concerning it. God knows your future as well as He knew your past, in fact He knew it all before you were even born, so why doesn’t He reveal it to you, because He wants you to Trust Him for all things including your future. As we delve into this subject we will see what God told Moses to do in Israel and what King Saul actually did in regards to seeking out the future. Keep in mind God doesn’t want us to consult anyone but Him in matters of our life. We are definitely not to seek answers through the occult.
I. This is a great question for this Wednesday it would be better of course, for the following week because Halloween will be here and it is time for costumes.
A. Witches were and are a popular costume even more today
4. Goblins all will be out on Halloween night
B. Some call it all saints day here are some facts for us to digest concerning Halloween:
1. Found this in a dictionary for the term Saint, “The original Christian usage referred to any believer who is "in Christ" and in whom Christ dwells, whether in heaven or in earth.”
2. 1st Corinthians 14 backs up this definition, we read in verse 33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
3. You see that all churches of saints or of believers
4. Halloween is called all saints day, yet it portrays the occult not God.
5. Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (pronounced "sah-win").
6. The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture.
7. Samhain was a time used by the ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and prepare for winter.
8. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, the boundaries between the worlds of the living and the dead overlapped and the deceased would come back to life and cause havoc such as sickness or damaged crops.
9. The festival would frequently involve bonfires.
10. It is believed that the fires attracted insects to the area which attracted bats to the area.
11. These are additional attributes of the history of Halloween.
12. The practice of dressing up in costumes and begging door to door for treats on holidays goes back to the Middle Ages
13. Trick-or-treating resembles the late medieval practice of "souling," when poor folk would go door to door on Hallowmas (November 1), receiving food in return for prayers for the dead on All Souls Day (November 2).
14. It originated in Ireland and Britain, although similar practices for the souls of the dead were found as far south as Italy.
C. Today we see all sorts of costumes and practices with Halloween, but many seek out Psychics and spiritualists on this day too.
1. So how does this all go to our question
2. These things have a prominent place in the occult practices
3. Therefore they tie in with Halloween and our question
4. We dive in now to what God says about the practice of the occult.
II. We start with Leviticus 20: 27 A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.
A. This was a serious offense to God and should have been for Israel
1. Matthew Henry states: “It would be an affront to God and to his lively oracles, a scandal to the country, and a temptation to ignorant bad people, to consult them, if such were known and suffered to live among them.”
2. He continued on to say “Those that are in league with the devil have in effect made a covenant with death and an agreement with hell, and so shall their doom be.”