Improve your sermon prep with our brand new study tools! Learn all about them here.
Sermons

Summary: How should we respond to our great God? 1- We shout for joy 2- We worship with gladness 3- We know (or recognize) He is God

  Study Tools

INTRO.- Shouting can be good but it also be bad. It depends on where you are shouting and to whom.

ILL.- JACKIE KLEIN is a devoted mother of two little boys in the suburbs of Portland, Ore. She spends hours taking them to soccer and Cub Scouts. She reads child-development books. And she is calm 90 percent of the time. Then there is the other 10 percent, when, she admits, “I have become totally frustrated and lost control of myself.” And then she yells.

Amy McCready, the founder of Positive Parenting Solutions said, “I’ve worked with thousands of parents and I can tell you, without question, that screaming is the new spanking... Parents resort to reminding, nagging, timeout, counting 1-2-3 and quickly realize that those strategies don’t work to change behavior. In the absence of tools that really work, they feel frustrated and angry and raise their voice. They feel guilty afterward, and the whole cycle begins again.”

Is shouting or yelling the answer for parenting? I don’t think so, but I also know that most parents have done this at some time or other. We get frustrated because the kids aren’t behaving so we yell at them.

Proverbs 15:23 “A man finds joy in giving an apt reply—and how good is a timely word!”

Shouting at children is not giving an apt reply for their disobedience or bad behavior. We may think it’s timely, but it isn’t the answer to correcting a child.

Proverbs 13:24 “He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.”

Proverbs 22:15 “Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.”

Even though shouting at kids may not be the right and appropriate thing to do, there may be a time for shouting.Shouting for your favorite team at a ball game may be a good thing, unless you are not sitting in the grandstands of the opposing team!

Beyond shouting at ball games for your favorite team is there a good time to shout? Yes, according to our text, there is.

1 Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. It sounds like there is a time and place for shouting. We are to shout for joy about God! Or perhaps shout in joy to the Lord. Our text is telling how we should respond to God if we know Him and walk with Him in life. We should have an ongoing relationship to Him, an ongoing relationship of joy.

PROP.- How should we respond to our great God?

1- We shout for joy

2- We worship with gladness

3- We know (or recognize) He is God

I. WE SHOUT FOR JOY

1 Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth.

Job 8:20-21 “Surely God does not reject a blameless man or strengthen the hands of evildoers. He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy.”God can fill us with joy and the Holy Spirit. Acts 13:52, Gal. 5:22

Job 33:26 “He prays to God and finds favor with him, he sees God’s face and shouts for joy; he is restored by God to his righteous state.” If you see God in scripture how can you not get excited and express joyous praise to Him?


Talk about it...

Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!

Join the discussion