Summary: HONOR YOUR FATHER AND YOUR MOTHER, AS THE LORD YOUR GOD HAS COMMANDED YOU, SO THAT YOU MAY LIVE LONG AND THAT IT MAY GO WELL WITH YOU IN THE LAND THE LORD YOUR GOD IS GIVING YOU (DEUTERONOMY 5: 16/ EXODUS 20: 12).
SHOW A LITTLE RESPECT
MATTHEW 15: 1-20
NOVEMBER 10, 2002
INTRODUCTION: A LITTLE GIRL ONCE SAID TO HER MOTHER, “Mommy, if Santa Claus brings our presents, and God gives us our daily bread, and Uncle Sam gives us Social Security, why do we keep daddy around?”
On his sixteenth birthday a son approached his father and said, "Dad, I’m sixteen now. When I get my license, can I drive the family car?" His dad looked at him and said, "Son, driving the car takes maturity, and first, you must prove that you are responsible enough. And one way you must do that is to bring up your grades. They are not acceptable. Second, you must read the Bible every day. And finally, you must get that hair cut; it looks outrageous." The son began the task of fulfilling his father’s requirements, knowing that the last might be impossible.
When his grades came out he went to his dad with a big smile. "Look, Dad, all A’s and B’s on my report card. Now can I drive the family car?" "Very good, son. You are one-third of the way there, but have you been reading the Bible?" the father replied. "Yes, Dad, every day," said the son. "Very good son. You are two-thirds of the way there. Now when are you going to get that hair cut?"
The son, thinking that he could out smart the father, responded, "Well, I don’t see why I should get my hair cut to drive the car. Jesus had long hair, didn’t he?" The father looked at his boy and said, "That’s right, son and Jesus walked everywhere he went."
TRANSITION THOUGHT: What does it mean to honor your Father and your Mother? What does it mean to receive the command that comes with a promise? Just like in parenting, as we discussed last week, there are so many issues we struggle with. How do we care for aging Parents who are living longer? How do we care for Mom, since dad is gone? How do we care for Dad since mom is gone? How do we care for divorced parents lost in the shuffle? How do we care for our parents who have remarried and now have a new spouse for us to get to know? Financial issues need to be addressed. Health care issues need to be addressed. These were just a few thoughts off the top of my head. But this is a growing issue in our lives and for many of you today it is an all consuming issue!! Scripture helps! But the word of God doesn’t always address specifically the issues some are facing. SO WHAT DOES SCRIPTURE TEACH US??
THESIS SENTENCE: “HONOR YOUR FATHER AND YOUR MOTHER, AS THE LORD YOUR GOD HAS COMMANDED YOU, SO THAT YOU MAY LIVE LONG AND THAT IT MAY GO WELL WITH YOU IN THE LAND THE LORD YOUR GOD IS GIVING YOU (DEUTERONOMY 5: 16/ EXODUS 20: 12).”
SO I ASK, “WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO SHOW A LITTLE RESPECT TO OUR MOTHERS AND FATHERS?”
I. RESPECT IS NOT ABOUT TRADITION
A. TRADITION NULLIFIES THE WORD OF GOD
1. Let the argument begin. Jesus’ detractors, the Pharisees and teachers of the law question Jesus’ Piety.
2. The tradition was the application of the law, and not the law itself. It was the how to of the law and proved one’s piety before God.
3. The question was, “if you are who you say you are, why aren’t you more pious than we?”
4. One step further might be the statement, “we are holier than thou!” And “What’s your problem, don’t you even know the traditions?”
5. Don’t you know, you can only sing hymns at church and you have to wear a coat and tie? Didn’t you hear, church last from 11 to 12 and then you go to the steak house for lunch?
6. In verse 6 Jesus replies, “Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition.”
B. TRADITION IS THE TRUTH OF MEN
1. Tradition taught that you must ceremonially wash your hands before you eat. The original law was for the priest of the temple, but after the temple was destroyed, it became a tradition for all Jews to ceremonially wash.
2. Jesus gets fired up here and starts quoting scripture!
3. Do you ever get fired up and start quoting scripture? I HOPE SO!
4. Jesus quotes Isaiah and calls these Pharisees and teachers of the law hypocrites! 5. Isaiah wrote, “These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.”
6. What Jesus is driving at is not what God says is truth, but what men say is truth!