Summary: "He that giveth, let him do it with Simplicity" Rom 12:8 (kjv)
SIMPLICITY IN CHRIST
Rom 12:8 he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity
2 Cor 1:12 For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward
2 Cor 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
1. Simplicity is that which is clear, plain, easy to be understood or done.
2. It is not complex or complicated, but natural.
3. Sometimes people think of the simple as having to do with the ignorant and backward.
4. However, we are using simplicity in the sense that Christianity is plain, simple to understand.
I. Christ lived a simple life.
1. His was a lowly birth. [Luke 2:7 ] swaddling clothes, laid him in a manger
3. He humbled himself to be baptized [Mark 1:9]
4. Lived and ate with sinners. [ Luke 15:2]
5. Taught simple lessons. [ Matt 5]
6. Died a lowly death. [Matt 27]
II. Brought a Simple Gospel.
1. Based on HIS death burial and resurrection. [1 Cor 15:1-4]
2. Those who believe and are baptized may be saved! [Mark 16:15,16] And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
III. He established a simple church.
1. Christ built it. [ Matt 16;18] And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it
2. Made up of the saved. [Acts 2:47] And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved
3. Consists of the called out. Col 1:13-14 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
4. Christ is the head, savior, and will return for it. [Ephesians 5]
5. It is not complicated by worldly organiziation.
IV. It has a simple worship!
1. To worship in spirit and in truth. [John 4:24] God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
c. BIBLE STUDY
e. LORD’S SUPPER
2. On each first day of the week. [Acts 20:7] Note: EACH !
3. Nothing difficult about it.
V. Gave us a Simple Book.
1. The perfect law of liberty. [James 1:25]
2. Completely furnishes man to every good work. [2 Timothy 3:16,17]
3. Things are written that we might believe. John 20:30,31
4. The milk of the word==that ye may grow thereby [1 Peter 2:3]
VI. To lead a Simple Life.
1. Be humble
2. Be patient
3. To love God and one another.
4. To do right in all things. [Titus 2:11-12] For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
5. Not to be a Hypocrite. Illustration