Summary: How God tells you to live is infinitely more important than how others think you should live! This is what Pharisees couldn't grasp. The challenge for us also is: Do not get a big head about it and become arrogant and/or unteachable.
Sin … It’s a Heart Problem!
- Jesus is demonstrated in this book as a “servant”
-- Key verse: Mark 10:45, “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
- IMP: What God says to us here is critical application for living for Him
- Encouragement: When we encounter God’s truth, it should cause a change
-- We should feel uncomfortable in some areas of our life
-- Sometimes however, it IS our entire life that needs to change
-- The Gospel is not for the weak at heart, so count it an honor to be included
- In every sense of the word, this is a beat down of EPIC proportions!
- From Wednesday night … (Jesus’ teaching challenges us every time)
- Pharisees were upset was because Jesus/Disciples weren’t following “their” rules
-- It’s an empty ritual that governs actions like this … and we need to see it
-- Why? Because we have the same problems in how we deal with others!
-- “Don’t do this because I feel convicted about it so you should as well …”
∆ CHANGE SLIDE
- This is a huge comparison to note … what’s clean and what’s unclean
-- Their thinking: People are unclean because of who they are (Gentile, etc.)
-- God’s thinking: People are unclean because their hearts are sinful
- Jesus called them hypocrites b/c they are twisting God’s Word for themselves
-- A hypocrite’s worship is external … it has nothing to do with the heart
-- Matthew 5 covers this in depth (Sermon on the Mount) … it’s a heart issue!
-- The real defilement is in their heart … not in their actions
- This was Adam’s problem.
- This was Eve’s problem.
- This is the Pharisees problem.
- And yes, even, this is OUR problem.
-- APP: It is the root of evil where we think we’ve got it all figured out
- One of the “Big Ideas” from Wed night was:
-- True worship comes from the heart, not from a spiritual rule book!
-- The traditions were put in place to help people MEET the Law
-- They provide structure and boundaries in which we are to live (to remind us)
- Read Mark 7:8-13
∆ Point 1 – We Must Honor God (8-13)
- Jesus reminds the Pharisees that they now consider themselves above God (v8)
-- Example: You’ve got to follow OUR rules in order to live properly
-- This, above anything else, really seals the deal for the Pharisees (he’s gotta go)
-- The critical app for us is seeing ourselves in this situation also
- Do we tell God, “I like your ways, but I think mine are better”
-- Or, do we (wisely) use scripture to guide us to say: Psalm 119:114, “You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word”
-- This is the problem the Pharisees have and it applies to us if we are like them
- The false holiness these men are showing has sickened Jesus
-- He is done trying to deal with the nonsense of their “religious ways”