Summary: We can sing for joy because of the great things God has done for us!
• WONDERFUL LIFE CLIP
• SLIDE #1
• In the classic movie, “It’s A Wonderful Life” George Bailey was miserable. He saw all his friends get out of Bedford falls and do great things, yet he was stuck in the small town running his father’s savings and loan.
• He wished he was never born, and an angel appeared giving George his wish.
• He got to see what life was like if he were never born. Once it sunk in that his life was actually a wonderful one, he is literally jumping for joy at the end of the movie.
• He finally realized for the first time that life was indeed good.
• I bet if the story were to continue George would have treasured each and every day of his life because it was truly wonderful.
• I bet we all have days when we maybe entertain some of those same wishes. I believe that as we start to grasp what God has done for us through Jesus that we will sing for joy.
• As we reflect on and start to grasp the great things God has done for us how can we contain the joy?
• We are going to examine three things that God has done for those who have been baptized into Jesus. These are things that we cannot do for ourselves.
• If you belong to Jesus you should never forget what God has done for you. WE should allow the life-changing experience to bring us daily joy!
• Let’s begin by looking at Colossians 1:12!
• SLIDE #2
• Colossians 1:12 (ESV) giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.
• SLIDE #3
We can sing for joy because…
I. We have been qualified by God.
• I do not know if we reflect on this point very often, but we have an inheritance waiting for us in heaven!
• BUT not everyone on the planet will be qualified to receive this inheritance.
• One has to be qualified to receive the inheritance.
• Steve Jobs the founder of Apple passed away a few months ago.
• I saw one web site that said his net worth was over 10.2 BILLION dollars. Now I would LOVE to be part of that inheritance! BUT I do not qualify; I am not in the will (unfortunately) nor am I a family member.
• I cannot do anything to change that fact. I cannot QUALIFY myself to receive a part of his fortune.
• The word the ESV translates as QUALIFIED mean “to be able or authorized for a task.” It can also mean to be made sufficient or competent.
• We cannot declare ourselves QUALIFIED to receive an inheritance from God.
• For me to be able to collect a portion of Steve Jobs fortune, HE would have had to qualify me.
• WE cannot be qualified by our own decree; we can never be qualified on our own.
• From its use in this passage we may conclude that in themselves believers have no fitness for sharing in the heritage of God’s people.
• WE are QUALIFIED or AUTHORIZED through the blood of Jesus!
• That blood is applied to us when we are buried with Christ in baptism! Romans 6!