Summary: 2nd in Drifting Series. I believe God sends us warning when we start drifting away from Him. On the dash board of your Christian walk I want to point out some hazard lights. Though not an exhaustive list, these are some of the warning signsthat you are
Six Warning Signs of Drifting
July 24, 2005 Hebrews 2:1
HEB 2:1 We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.
“Warning comes before destruction.” Jonah / Nineveh
I believe God sends us warning when we start drifting away from Him.
When driving… warning sign – adjust our course. When warning light on dash – get it fixed. On the dash board of your Christian walk – want to point out some hazard lights - Not an exhaustive list – but these are some of the warning signs
1. Loss of Focus
When came to Christ – focus on Him – but focus can drift…
heart can change from the things of God to the things of this world.
1KI 11:1 King Solomon, however, loved many foreign women besides Pharaoh’s daughter--Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians and Hittites. 2 They were from nations about which the LORD had told the Israelites, "You must not intermarry with them, because they will surely turn your hearts after their gods." Nevertheless, Solomon held fast to them in love. 3 He had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray. 4 As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been. 5 He followed Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and Molechn the detestable god of the Ammonites. 6 So Solomon did evil in the eyes of the LORD; he did not follow the LORD completely, as David his father had done.
• Wisest that ever lived – good beginning – did evil – as so many others
• King Solomon has a problem, allowed lust unchecked -
• Lust is a type of greed – never enough had to have more and more
• Focus was on temporal – no longer the Lord his God – turned heart away
1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
• Why tell us that? – world and things of it will steal our hearts
• You can possess the wisdom of the ages – still stray off course.
If focus not on God as it used to be – warning light is lit. Do whatever it takes to get focus back on the Lord.
• Something distracting? Getting in the way?
• Put it in proper place or get rid of it!
2. Loss of Priorities
Where do your priorities lie? Are you #1 in your life?
Are you more concerned about yourself than others, including God?
MT 22:37 Jesus replied: " `Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: `Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
• In a world of self-serving and self-centeredness, the Lord calls us to have a different priority.
Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
• We mistakenly think “…all these things…” means things for me, me, me…
• Listen, if your priority #1 is the kingdom of God – your affections will change