Summary: Sermon 11 in the series, "Things that Accompany Salvation." These sermons focus on the Apostle John's evidences of genuine faith as expressed in 1 John. This sermon: The Compatibility Test. Am I hearing the message from God in the messages of men?
Series: Things That Accompany Salvation
Hebrews 6:9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.
Message 11: Sixteen Signs of a True Believer (Part VII)
(2 Cor. 13:5; 1 Jn. 4:1-6)
2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
• “Examine” - peirazo = to test, to scrutinize.
• We are to examine our faith.
• But with what are we to test it?
• We are to examine ourselves by the revealed word of God.
• 28 times in 23 verses John tells us that we can “KNOW” that we are saved!
• We cannot afford to ignore what John, under inspiration of the Holy Spirit, is telling us!
• There is the danger that we may be “reprobates.”
“reprobate” - to be tested by God and rejected as unapproved, found to be worthless and cast away.
ILLUS: These are the gauges on the dash of your life!
NOTE: These tests are not for you to judge your fellow church member’s salvation. They are to be applied by each person to himself!
REVIEW: Thus far, we have considered:
1. The Companionship Test: Do I demonstrate that I love the fellowship of the Father, the Son and the Saints?
2. The Comfort Test: Am I sensitive to sin?
3. The Cleansing Test: Have I experienced and accepted the forgiveness of God?
4. The Commandments Test: Am I keeping God’s commandments?
5. The Conformity Test: Does my life conform to the will of God?
6. The Conduct Test: Am I doing rightousness?
7. The Coming Test: Am I showing that I am looking forward to the coming of Christ by living in such a way that I would not be embarrassed by His coming? “He that hath this hope ... purifieth himself.”
8. The Conquering Test: Am I winning the battle over habitual sin?
9. The Charity Test: Am I demonstrating by my actions and attitude a genuine love for my brothers and sisters in Christ?
10. The Conscience Test: Am I free from the plague of moral guilt?
11. The Communication Test: Have I experienced true answers to prayer?
12. The Counselor Test: Do I show evidence that the Holy Spirit is present in my life?
• TODAY: Sign # 12: The Compatibility Test (4:1-6)
• Have I heard the Word of God in the Messages of Men?
• Or, Am I able to discern between true and false teachers?
• The mention of the Holy Spirit in 3:24 prompts John to inform his readers that those other spirits exist.
• There are demonic spirits, who produce false prophets and false teachers to propagate their false doctrine (see notes on 1 Tim. 4:1,2) MacArthur, J. J.
• Paul warned of this:
1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
• From the very beginning, in the garden of Eden, Satan twists divine truth.