Summary: If we don't pray, trials may come that will overwhelm our faith. 3 times the Lord warned Peter to pray; 3 times Peter denied the Lord.There comes a time when it's too late to pray. We must get motivated to pray more in order to withstand the troublesome t
“SLEEP ON PETER, IT’S TOO LATE TO PRAY!”
1. A man, making a long driving trip, drove all night. By morning he was very tired; so he decided to stop at the next city, park somewhere, and catch an hour or two of sleep.
2. Unfortunately, the place he chose was on one of the major jogging routes. As soon as he settled back to snooze there was a knock on the window.
3. ‘Excuse me, sir,’ the jogger said, ‘do you have the time?’ ‘7:15.’ The jogger said “Thanks” and left.
4. He settled back again, and was just dozing off when there was another knock. ‘Excuse me, sir, do you have the time?’ ‘7:25,’
5. He saw more joggers coming and knew it was only a matter of time before another disturbed him.
6. To avoid the problem, he got a pen and paper and put a sign in my window that read, ‘I do not know the time.’
7. He had just fallen to sleep when there was another knock on the window. ‘Sir, sir? It’s 7:45!’”
34 “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” He said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.” 35 Going a little farther, He fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36 “Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from Me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” 37 Then He returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Simon,” He said to Peter, “are you asleep? Couldn’t you keep watch for one hour? 38 Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” 39 Once more He went away and prayed the same thing. 40 When He came back, He again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. They did not know what to say to Him. 41 Returning the third time, He said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Enough! The hour has come. Look, the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners. 42 Rise! Let us go! Here comes My betrayer!”
1. MANY PEOPLE IN THE BIBLE FELL ASLEEP AT ODD MOMENTS:
a. Abraham fell asleep while God was talking to him(Gen. 15:12).
b. Daniel slept in the lion’s den while the King had insomnia in his palace(6:18).
c. Peter slept soundly the night before he was to be executed(Acts 12:6).
d. Paul preached so long in Ephesus that Eutychus fell asleep and fell 3 stories to the ground, but god raised him up(Acts 20:9).
e. The 10 virgins all slept while they waited for the Bridegroom(Matthew 25:5).
2. Today we’re going to look at the danger of sleeping spiritually.
3. We’re going to look at a friend of Jesus’ named Peter, Jesus’ warning to him, and how he failed to listen and what this means for us.
4. The title of this message is “Sleep on Peter, It’s too late to Pray!”
I. PETER: JESUS’ MAIN MAN
The Lord Jesus and Peter went way back.