Summary: At times we find ourselves forgetting or disregarding the way and word of God. When we do this we find that we let the characteristics of our salvation slip into darkness.
2:1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things
which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.
2:2 For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every
transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of
2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the
first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us
by them that heard him;
B. The First Century Jewish Christians
1. The two religions
(1) Backed by the Government
(1) Made up of converted Jews from Judaism and Gentiles
2. Gave up long held Judaism traditions.
3. They were harassed and persecuted.
4. It didn’t seem that the promises of God were ever going to be kept.
(1) The promise of Israel being restored as a nation.
(2) The promise of Christ Jesus returning.
5. They began to return to their old ways.
6. God brought them from the Darkness to the Marvelous Light, yet, due to their compliancy in the way and word of God, they started slipping into darkness.
7. We too, at times become complacent in the way and word of God as we await the promises of God and find ourselves slipping into darkness.
(1) at times we find ourselves forgetting or disregarding the way and word of God. When we do this we find that we let the characteristics of our salvation slip into darkness. We let our:
Our Christian respect slip
Our power in Christ slip
Our shinning light as a child of God Fade into darkness.
(2) Though we well know the consequences of disobediences we sometimes can’t resist satisfying the flesh.
Matthew 26:41 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."
There is great danger in fulfilling the cravings of the flesh, for to satisfy the flesh is to kill the spirit of God within.
The writer of Hebrews wrote to warn and encourage the Jewish Christians to hold on to their faith. The same writings in the word of God warns and encourage us today, to hold on to our faith.
Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
(3) If you have been praying for:
Deliverance, Just Hold on.
Miracle, Just hold on.
Lies and Rumors
Matthew 5:11-12 "Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Jeremiah 30:17 For I will restore health to you And heal you of your wounds,’ says the LORD,
Finances Just Hold on.
Acts 16:31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."
Love one / spouse, Just Hold on.
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Lamentations 3:25 The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, To the soul who seeks Him.
Job, Just Hold on.
Hold to Gods unchanging hand.
2:1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things, which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.
II. The Warning
A. We ought to give the more earnest heed to the things, which we have heard.
1. To listen more closely
2. To pay more attention
3. To get better understanding
B. We ought to give the more earnest heed to the things, which we have heard.
1. to what the Pastor is preaching
2. to what you learn in Sunday School
3. to what you discover in Bible Study
4. to what God gives you in your personal devotion time.
5. to what you read in your bible in your own personal studies.
6. to how to apply the word of God to your everyday life.
7. to how you conduct yourself in the view of the non-believer and in the company of the believers.
8. to how you conduct your behavior in God’s house.
9. to how you fulfill the office or position God has allowed you to hold in his house.
10. to how you treat your brother and sister in Christ.
11. to your relationship with God’s under Shepard in the sanctuary in which you serve.