Summary: God’s presence in our lives is a vital necessity for living according to God’s standard.
Smeared With the Presence of God
Text: Matthew 28:18-20
Introduction: I want us to focus in on that phrase: "I am with you always" for a time today. The promise of God to all who follow after Him is "His presence." More than anything else in this world, we need God’s presence surrounding us and with God’s presence comes God’s power. Even more than for ourselves, this world which we are in needs us walking in God’s presence. What I’m talking about today is the "anointing." We talk about the anointing alot; yet, most Christians really don’t have a clue what the anointing is. Anointing basically means "smeared;" hence, the title "Smeared With the Presence of God." To be smeared or anointed by God means to be covered with His power-filled presence.
Long before Jesus walked upon this earth, men of God sought after this same presence. God’s presence was manifested to the world as the children of Israel moved through the desert. As long as God’s presence was with them, their needs were met; their enemies were routed; they were taken care of. Moses learned early on that he had to have God’s presence with Him in order to fulfill the mission God put before Him. At the burning bush, Moses understood his own inability thus God revealed to him His ability through His presence.
As Joshua took over at the death of Moses, he was frightened. But God assured him - I am with you. Time and again, God’s promise of His presence and power was renewed unto Joshua.
David understood his need for God’s presence in his everyday life. It was really much more than a simple need, David longed for it. Time and again in the Psalms we read of David crying out for more of God’s presence - it was an intense longing.
Church, we owe it to the world to be smeared with God’s presence. This lost, dying world needs the anointing of God in our lives in order to make real the mighty presence of God for their ultimate deliverance. The anointing equips us to bring the world into an encounter with God. When we are smeared with the presence of God, it rubs off on all we come into contact with - and it’s that anointing that breaks the yokes of darkness.
As we begin trying to better understand the anointing, it is important that we actually witness:
1. The Anointing’s Action
- Luke 8:43-48 - A woman suffering from bleeding for 12 years, who had spent all she had on doctors yet could not be healed by any, approached from behind and touched the tassel of His robe. Instantly her bleeding stopped. Who touched Me? Jesus asked. When they all denied it, Peter said, Master, the crowds are hemming You in and pressing against You. Somebody did touch Me, said Jesus. I know that power has gone out from Me. When the woman saw that she was discovered, she came trembling and fell down before Him. In the presence of all the people, she declared the reason she had touched Him and how she was instantly cured. Daughter, He said to her, your faith has made you well. Go in peace."
A. Jesus was moving through a crowd of people.
1. This one particular woman with a great need reaches out and touches Him and He responds with "Who touched me?"
2. Many people were touching Him at the moment but this one particular woman stirred up something within Him.
3. The power of the Holy Spirit within Him moved from Him into that woman and He knew it.
4. That power flowed in and met that woman’s need immediately.
5. The faith and the desperate need of that woman placed an immediate demand upon the anointing resident within Jesus.
B. This woman received her healing because the anointing breaks the yoke.
1. Isaiah prophesied of this power of the anointing to break yokes.
2. Isaiah 10:27 records: "On that day his burden will fall from your shoulders, and his yoke from your neck. The yoke will be broken because of his fatness."
Application: This same power is available to us today. We, too, can walk in this same Spirit and witness people encountering God in that same personal way as we pass by. Above all else, people should be encountering God in their lives because of your life.
As we begin to get a clearer understanding of the anointing, it becomes imperative that we begin to understand:
2. The Anointing’s Availability
- Jn 14:12 - "The one who believes in me will also do the works that I do. And he will do even greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in My name, I will do it so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it. If you love Me, you will keep My commandments."