Summary: The purpose for Message is to encourage the church to seek unity within and see its benefits in glorifying God.
A. It has been a while since we were in Colossians, so let me do a quick review.
1. We will pick-up in Col 3:15, but this is right in the middle of a paragraph which begins with verse 12.
2. That verse states, Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved,…. Col. 3:12, He is speaking to us, His children.
3. And then goes on to give characteristics that the Christian person should endeavor to PUT ON and have as a part their life
4. Paul then goes on to give an over arching command, Col. 3:14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
B. This verse is important because it is the pivot point for the rest of the paragraph.
1. Having stipulated what each individual needs to PUT-ON in his life Paul brings the focus back to the church
2. Love is the glue that keeps every thing together
- I like what John MacArthur wrote, “Love is the beauty of the believer, dispelling the ugly sins of the flesh that destroy unity.”
3. When we, individually, have put off the old man and put on the new, capping it in love we may see unity solidify.
C. As love is spread, as a canopy, above the church three things become possible which bring this Solidifying Unity
1. Lets read our passage for this morning and see if you can find them: Col. 3:15-17 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
2. Did you see them – I outlined them as follows: the things that become possible are
a. The Peace of God To Rule
b. The Word of Christ To Dwell
c. The Name of Jesus To be Served
D. Can you imagine a church where love is seen in every believer, where the bond of unity is unbreakable?
1. I can and I can see it happening right here!
2. Lets pray and ask God to accomplish His will in us – asking Him to Solidify Unity among us.
As love begins to solidify our unity we will see it possible for
I. THE PEACE OF GOD TO RULE, Col. 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
A. As Christians we have already made peace with God
1. Romans 5:1 states, Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2. This peace was necessary because we were separated from God
- Isaiah said, your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. Isa 59:2
3. We needed reconciliation:
- The gospel (Rom 3:23, 6:23; 1 Cor 15:3-4, Rom 10:9 & 13)
4. This peace was accomplished when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ
5. Do you have peace with God this morning – you can.
B. Now it is possible to have the Peace of God
1. Let – this word allows us know that something is possible, but we have a responsibility in it: God provides the opportunity and power to accomplish it, but we must take responsibility to work at it.
2. This word peace carries with it two concepts
a. First, that of a treaty or agreement
b. Second, the attitude of rest and security
3. We read of this in Phil 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
C. Furthermore, this peace has the ability to rule
1. The Greek word brabeuo (brab-yoo-o) spoke of an umpire at a game, whose responsibility it was to determine an outcome
2. Hence peace is a referee that helps us make choices, personally and corporately as the church
3. If there is one thing that can really help establish unity in a church it is PEACE!
4. Notice, … to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
5. When we have peace, we need to be thankful – extremely thankful, because not many churches have it!
6. Do you have the peace of God? Do we, the church, have the peace of God for going in the direction we are moving?