Summary: Homosexuality is a significant issue today. After the Supreme Court struck down "DOMA" Christians will find themselves in a key position to teach truths about marriage.
1. In June, 2013 the SCOTUS determined that the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), signed by Bill Clinton on 9.21.96 was unconstitutional. DOMA allowed states to refuse to recognize same-sex marriages granted under the laws of other states. Until Section 3 of the Act was ruled unconstitutional in 2013, DOMA, in conjunction with other statutes, had also effectively barred same-sex married couples from being recognized as "spouses" for purposes of federal laws, or receiving federal marriage benefits.
2. With all that is going on today, do you ever feel like the couple in Choctaw, OK who had to stand by and watch their house fall into the Canadian River because of unstoppable erosion? How many times does it seem like there is nothing we can do to stop the plague of rebellion against God?
3. Speaking against Homosexual behavior is considered "hate speech" in many parts of Europe; Canada; Scott Lively (President of Defending the Family International) is being sued in US Federal Court for "crimes against humanity" for preaching against homosexuality in UGANDA, Africa.
4. Romans 1.26-27
I. Marriage -- The Intentions of God: ONE Man and ONE Woman for Life -- Matthew 19.4-6
4 He answered, "Have you not read that he who made them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder."
A. "Male and Female" -- Necessary to obey God's first command -- "Be fruitful and multiply" -- Creation -- key part of the image of God
B. Judaism -- set God's standard of sexuality in the world
1. Pagans -- "Penetrator and Penetrated"
a. "Julius Caesar was every woman's man and every man's woman"
b. Women for propagation; men for pleasure
c. Gymnasia -- statues of fertility gods; Hercules -- symbol of homosexuality; nudity; intention for promoting homosexual behavior
2. God: Husband and Wife for life
a. No Divorce/Immorality
b. No Homosexual Behavior
II. God's Declarations About Homosexuality
A. Sodom and Gomorrah -- Genesis 19.4-5
But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house; 5 and they called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may know them."
just as Sodom and GomorŒrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise acted immorally and indulged in unnatural lust, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire. Jude 7
Note also: Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food [gluttony], and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. Ezekiel 16.49
B. Torah Commands
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. Leviticus 18.22
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them. Leviticus 20.13