Summary: No one can break the power of Satan in their lives without the power of Jesus. He is the only one that can overcome the darkness to bring seeking men into the light.
Prairie Baptist Church – 11/15/09
Text: Mark 5:1-20
Key verse: Mark 5:19 - However, Jesus did not permit him, but said to him, “Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had compassion on you.”
Premise: No one can break the power of Satan in their lives without the power of Jesus. He is the only one that can overcome the darkness to bring seeking men into the light.
In one of his meetings, D.L. Moody was explaining to his audience the truth that we cannot bring about spiritual changes in our lives by our own strength. He demonstrated the principal like this: “Tell me,” he said to his audience, “how can I get the air out of the tumbler I have in my hand?” One man said, “Suck it out with a pump.” But Moody replied, “That would create a vacuum and shatter it.” Finally after many suggestions, he picked up a pitcher and quietly filled the glass with water. “There,” he said, “all the air is now removed.” He then explained that victory for the child of God does not come by working hard to eliminate sinful habits, but rather by allowing Christ to take full possession.
I am the man of the house, and as the man of the house, I am good for many things, such as, getting the lids off of pickle jars. It seems that daddy is stronger and more capable of getting those pesky, vacuum sealed monsters off of the jar than anybody else is. When there is danger, who does everybody run to? Daddy!
Here, in this story, is a man with a different problem than most. It is likely that none of you, hopefully, have ever had his problem. He was demon possessed.
• Demon possession was common in those days
• It was manifested in different ways
• This man was so far into it that he had thousands of demons residing in him.
• He is like so many today.
• Without Christ, all are under the direction of the devil – Ephesians 2:1-3 - 1And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
o This does not mean everyone who is not a Christian is demon-possessed.
o It means they are directed in their unsaved condition of the thought and influence of the devil.
Life cannot be handled well without Jesus Christ
Do you ever have things in your life you knew you couldn’t handle?
Have you ever had a feeling of lack of control over a circumstance, situation, illness, or event?
Can we avert the passing of a loved one?
Can we control the loss of a job or quiet a storm on our own?
Can we turn back a wayward child or friend?
Than we need Jesus and His power to lead us through
This life is overwhelming and there are many forces more powerful than we are. We need the Supernatural power of Jesus in our lives.