Summary: BECAUSE WE CAN COUNT ON GOD, OUR HEART SHOULD OVERFLOW WITH SONGS OF JOY
BECAUSE WE CAN COUNT ON GOD,
OUR HEART SHOULD OVERFLOW WITH SONGS OF JOY
I. (:1-5) SONGS OF JOY ARE APPROPRIATE FOR THE RIGHTEOUS BECAUSE GOD IS DEPENDABLE
A. VARIETY OF EXPRESSION OF JOY
1. Variety of Nature of Expression
Songs of Joy
Sing a New Song
Shout of Joy
2. Variety of Accompaniment
with the lyre
with the harp of ten strings
B. QUALITY OF THE EXPRESSION OF JOY
1. spontaneous ("shout of joy")
2. skillfully crafted ("play skillfully") -- not slipshod or careless
C. CHARACTER OF THE JOYOUS
1. Righteous ones
2. the Upright
D. CHARACTER OF THE GOD WHO MADE THEM JOYOUS -- HE IS
1. His Word is Dependable ("Upright ") -- It can be counted on
2. His Works (Plans) are Dependable
"done in faithfulness"
3. His Standards and Judgments are Dependable
"He loves righteousness and justice"
4. His Lovingkindness can be counted on
"the earth is full of the lovingkindness of the Lord" = everywhere you look!.
II. (:6-9) GOD’S WORD IS DEPENDABLE
CREATION IS AN AWESOME TESTIMONY TO THE POWER OF GOD’S
FEAR GOD BECAUSE HIS WORD IS POWERFUL AND DEPENDABLE
"He spoke and it was done" = "He commanded, and it stood fast" (vs.9)
A. Creation of the heavens and all their host
-- by the Word of the Lord
-- by the breath of His mouth
B. Creation of the boundaries and depths of the sea on the earth
C. Creation is intended by God to be an Awesome Testimony
1. "Let all the earth fear the Lord"
2. "Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him"
III. (:10-12) GOD’S PLANS (WORKS) ARE DEPENDABLE
A. God’s Enemies Are Unable to Carry Out Their Plans
1. "The Lord nullifies the counsel of the nations"
2. "He frustrates the plans of the peoples"
B. God’s People Can Count on God Carrying Out His Plans
1. "The counsel of the Lord stands forever"
2. "The plans of His heart from generation to generation"
What a blessing to be included in the company of God’s people by the sovereign choice of God!
IV. (:13-19) GOD CAN BE COUNTED ON TO SAVE THOSE WHO ARE COUNTING ON HIM
A. God Sees the Basis for Our Confidence
He knows the orientation of our heart = the object of our trust
1. God has the best vantage point for such observation
"looks from heaven" = "His dwelling place"
no limitatio ns on God
2. God as the Creator has the ultimate understanding of the heart of man
B. God is not fooled by the False Confidences that are attractive to man
-- "the king is not saved by a mighty army"
-- "a warrior is not delivered by great strength"
-- "a horse is a false hope for victory"
-- "nor does it deliver anyone by its great strength".
C. God is looking for those who fear Him and hope in His lovingkindness
"the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him,
on those who hope for His lovingkindness"
D. God Can be Counted on to Deliver from Death and Preserve from Danger
"to deliver their soul from death,
And to keep them alive in famine"
V. (:20-23) OUR HEART OVERFLOWS WITH SONGS OF JOY BECAUSE OUR HOPE AND TRUST ARE IN THE LORD
* * * * * * * * * *
1) “Praise is becoming to the upright.” (vs.2) Think of how much attention we give to our appearance. Shouldn’t we be far more concerned with adorning our hearts with what is most appropriate and attractive?
2) What does this psalm contribute to our understanding of creation ex nihilo? God spoke and it was done. By His Word He brought everything into existence out of nothing.
3) Isn’t it comforting that the emphasis on the Lord’s knowledge of all things (vs. 13-22) is directed towards His understanding and care for us – to deliver us from danger?
4) What are some of our potential false sources of hope and confidence – ones we need to guard against just like the psalmist had to be careful not to put his trust in his army or horses (vs.16-17)?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)