Summary: In continuing from this mornings message. Here is part two. Not only is Jesus our source of strength, but our source of hope as well. Where would we be without hope. Tonight we will explore Jesus as our Source of Hope.
In continuing from this mornings message. Here is part two. Not only is Jesus our source of strength, but our source of hope as well. Where would we be without hope. Tonight we will explore Jesus as our Source of Hope.
Hope – (elpis) – “favorable and confident expectation
While hunting, Larry and Elmer got lost in the woods. Trying to reassure his friend, Larry said, "Don’t worry. All we have to do is shoot into the air 3 times, stay where we are, and someone will find us."
They shot in the air 3 times, but no one came. After a while, they tried again. Still no response. When they decided to try once more, Elmer said, "I hope it works this time. We’re down to our last 3 arrows."
Sad to say, many times we are just like Larry and Elmer, looking for hope in something that has no effect on our situation.
• 11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
• 12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
• 13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,
• 14 Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.
• 15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.
• 16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.
• 17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
• 18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
• 19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
• 20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
Proverbs 13:1212 Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life.
AT THE END OF THE ROPE, I HAVE HOPE.
“Hope looks for the good in people instead of harping on the worst in them. Hope opens doors where despair closes them. Hope discovers what can be done instead of grumbling about what cannot be done. Hope draws its power from a deep trust in God and the basic goodness of mankind. Hope “lights a candle” instead of “cursing the darkness.” Hope regards problems, small or large, as opportunities. Hope cherishes no illusions, nor does it yield to cynicism. Hope means expectancy when things are otherwise hopeless.”
- G. K. Chesterton
Using the word HOPE, we have 4 acronyms that we can count on.
4 Sources of Hope through Jesus
H. Help in times of trouble
Nahum 1:7 7 The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.
Always right on time. Even if he seems four days late like in Lazarus case, but he still came right on time.
O. Overcoming Power of Satan and the World
1 John 5:4-5 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
This hope needs to be received by the Church today. Too many are giving in to the world and Satan. But we should always remember that Greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world
P. Perfect Peace that Passes Understanding
Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
I once had a sister in the church I was pastoring that quoted this scripture all the time. Now what always blessed me about this that she didn't just use this scripture when things were great. More times than not, she used this verse when she was experiencing troubling times in her walk with the Lord. It was her testimony that no matter, whatever was the matter, God is in control.
E. Eternal Life in Heaven
Titus 1:22 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;
Titus 3:77 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.