Summary: Theme - He learned how to speak in the authority, power and with the backing of the promises of God. He said, "In the name of Jesus of Nazareth, rise up and walk." Just as Jesus said, "I have come in my Father’s name" (Jn. 5:43),
Have you ever wondered how Peter and the apostles were able to do such great miracles?
Theme - He learned how to speak in the authority, power and with the backing of the promises of God. He said,
"In the name of Jesus of Nazareth, rise up and walk." Just as Jesus said, "I have come in my Father’s name" (Jn. 5:43),
Peter brought healing for the glory of the Lord Jesus and with His empowerment. Ask the Lord to help you to speak to others in a way that brings blessing, strength and energizing to those around you.
2. Peter remembered that he should take the power of Christ’s message to those who were willing to admit their need for Him. The lame man had to humble himself to a point where he would cry out for the help from the Lord Jesus. Faith remains the condition for the lame manâs healing. We are all like the lame man in a spiritual sense - stricken, helpless and fallen until we find our solution in the Savior by faith. None of us can sustain ourselves without the continual enabling, strengthening and inner healing of the Lord Jesus.
Application: Ask the Lord to continually cleanse, heal and restore you to completeness in Him.
3. There are many people who are unable to recognize the seriousness of their problems. The lame man is actually a good picture of what every person is like without the consistent surrendering, controlling and leading of the Holy Spirit. The man could not even stand up without assistance. He was dependent for all kinds of things in so many circumstances that he had probably become depressed. Everyday he watched other strong independent people walk freely.
Application: Failure to recognize the fact that we are guilty, vile and constantly in need of the Spiritâs cleansing can result misery. Trust the Lord to help you recognize your need to repeatedly turn to the Holy Spirit of God for your guidance, strength and cleansing of all motivations. Ask the Lord to help you find your enjoyment in Him and not in anything else.
4. Peter knew that the lame man went to great lengths to put himself in a position where he could receive benefits from the Lord and His people. The lame man had friends who carried him to the gateways of the temple so he might be the recipient of some charitable people. Even humanists feel compassion toward handicapped.
Application: Trust the Lord to give you friends that will help you be in a place where you can be in a position to receive blessings from God. Ask the Lord to help you be the kind of a friend who will put others in similar places of spiritual opportunity.
5. Peter fixed his eyes on the sufferer. Let us learn to focus on those who are really hungering for the Lord and His will.
Example: Having taught in a seminary in Nigeria for nearly twenty years, I have had the privilege of being involved with helping to lead over 250,000 to Christ (Through Jesus film outings) who were thirsting for the truth. Most of them were just like this lame man, eager to receive a healing word from the Lord Jesus. Jesus said it best, "It is not the healthy (Or those who think they are spiritually OK) who need a physician but those who are sick (Or those who are ready to admit their spiritual guilt and need of forgiveness and cleansing)." (Luke 5:31)
Application: Stop spending all of your time, energy and focus on people who are already spiritually fat and happy.
Application: Trust the Lord to help you to go to the people, places and opportunities where people are spiritually hungering and thirsting for righteous solutions for their problems.
6. People recognized that the lame man had enjoyed a genuine divine blessing that could not be from mere human efforts. Observers compared his present and past condition so they recognized the change brought by the power of Jesus’ name. When your ministry is done in the name of Jesus people will know you are abiding in the vine so that you can bear much fruit.
Application: Ask the Lord to allow your light to shine before others so that they can see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. Do not try to cover up a good thing.
7. A thankful, rejoicing and enthusiast heart is one of the best things we can offer to God. This lame man went walking and leaping and praising God. May the Lord grant you the ability to show your gratitude in a way that leaves a lasting legacy of joy, thankfulness and praise to the Lord in many ways.
Concluding Thought - Jesus said, "All authority in heaven and earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you..." (Matt 28:19,20)