Summary: This is the 5th sermon in the series "Back To The Basics". This sermon is about prayer.
Sunday Evening November 10, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: ¡§Back To The Basics¡¨ [#5]
SPEAKING TO GOD
1. As we continue in our series ¡§Back To The Basic¡¨, I want us to look at our way of communicating with God.
2. Hebrews tells us that we can go boldly to the Throne because Jesus is our intercessor.
3. We have studied the Lord¡¦s Prayer in how Jesus gave us a model for prayer and the proper use of prayer.
4. This evening I want us to look at 6 areas of prayer that should be existent in our prayer life.
Prayer Of Praise
Psalm 48:1 ¡§Great is the Lord and most worthy of Praise.¡¨
1. Praise is glorifying God for Whom and What He is and for how this affects you. This is the most appropriate way to enter into His presence.
2. Praise God for His:
Prayer of Thanksgiving
1 Thessalonians 5:18 ¡§In all circumstances, for this is God¡¦s will for you in Christ Jesus.¡¨
1. Thanksgiving is thanking God for what He has done and for what He is going to do.
2. Each day thank God for a least one specific thing in the following areas of life and tell Him why you are thankful:
„« Material possessions (house, car, shoes, etc.)
„« Physical blessings (eyes, mind, mouth, etc.)
„« Spiritual blessings (forgivingness, prayer, joy, etc.)
„« People (one each day)
Prayer Of Confession
Psalm 51:1 ¡§Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.¡¨
1. Confession is agreeing with God about sin: it is your response to His holiness.
2. Steps to take in confession and repentance:
„« Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal every sin.
„« Confess each sin individually to the Lord ¡V sins of the tongue¡K
„« Seek cleansing, healing, renewing and deliverance from the source of the sins.
„« Make whatever restitution God leads you to make for the wrong done.
„« Thank God for faith for His forgiveness and go on your way rejoicing.
Prayer Of Intersession
1 Timothy 2:1 ¡§I urge, then first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone.¡¨
1. Intercession is praying for others. Intercession is praying specific blessings for specific people:
„« A member of the family
„« A missionary
„« Your pastor
„« Your Sunday School teacher
„« A Christian friend
„« An unsaved friend
„« A political leader
„« Others who are on your heart
2. Pray as specifically as you know how, and as the Holy Spirit leads. Then, faithfully record how God answers your prayers. Your faith will deepen and grow as you experience God working in the lives of others.
Scriptures that will strengthen your faith as you pray for others:
Prayer Of Petition
John 15:7 ¡§If your remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be given you.¡¨