Summary: Five questions to ask yourself before you open your mouth.
Text: Ephesians 4:29
A. Rotten Words
1. Are these words shameful?
· Speaking about in a negative way
· It’s easy to say bad things about people when they are not around
2. Are these words hurtful?
· Yelling at children or spouse
· Boy at parent teachers conferences whose dad said he was not smart enough to take geometry - hurt his son
B. Helpful Words
1. Are these words helpful?
· Not always easy to hear
2. Do these words offer grace?
C. Five questions to ask yourself before you open your mouth.
1. Is it true?
2. Is it appropriate for the situation?
3. Will these words be heard?
4. Is my motivation to help or to hurt?
5. Is this my responsibility?