Summary: In this sermon outline we share a little of what we are in Christ as a believer. Also, the old traditional ceremony of the 'Adoption ceremony' performed in Bible Days. One day we shall be like the Lord when we see Him.
SPIRIT OF ADOPTION!
Romans 8:14-17 (KJV) 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
1 John 3:2 (KJV) Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
In this sermon outline we share a little of what we are in Christ as a believer. Also, the old traditional ceremony of the 'Adoption ceremony' performed in Bible Days. One day we shall be like the Lord when we see Him.
I. We are called to be Sons of God!
John 1:12 (KJV) But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
A. Paul tells us that we are not in bondage. 2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV) For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
B. We can say Abba Father.
1. This means my lovely Papa, Daddy, and close relationship with God. We are his children and He is our Father.
2. We are His and He is ours.
3. How great is our God and His love to us. 1 John 3:1-2 (KJV) 1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
a. Called to be sons of God.
II. Spirit of Adoption sent into our hearts. Romans 8:16 (KJV) The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
A. One of the great themes of John Wesley was the 'inner witness'.
B. God bears witness we are 'born again'. We are His.
III. Ceremony of Adoption!
A. A boy child born was not considered a son until he was about 30 years of age. He then would go with his father to the Temple or Synagogue and before elders he would put his right hand on the son's right shoulder and say: "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased".
1. At this point he would now no longer be a boy or male in the household but a 'son'.
2. At this time everything the father owned he would own with him.
3. They would be joint heirs.
B. Jesus had no early father. God was His Father.
C. Jesus was about to begin His ministry.
D. He was about 30 years old.
E. He came to His cousin John the Baptist to be baptized.
1. God speaks from heaven. Matthew 3:17 (KJV) And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
2. Why did this happen? Remember what Jesus said to John. Matthew 3:15 (KJV) And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.