Summary: Jesus had a lot of opposition from the spiritual leaders of His day. It makes us ask, If Jesus came to Church today would He be accepted? I read this week that if Jesus preached the message coming out of most pulpits today He wouldn’t have been crucified. Let’s see how Jesus handled this opposition.
Introduction: Jesus had a lot of opposition from the spiritual leaders of His day. It makes us ask, If Jesus came to Church today would He be accepted? I read this week that if Jesus preached the message coming out of most pulpits today He wouldn’t have been crucified. Let’s see how Jesus handled this opposition.
I. JESUS DISRUPTS A FUNERAL
A. Jesus entered a city called Nain and interrupted a funeral procession. - Luke 7:11-17
1. This widow was going to be hopeless and probably become a beggar. (Her husband had died and now her only son had died)
2. Jesus had compassion on her and said, “Weep Not” and then HE COMMANDED HER SON TO ARISE!
a) If you have authority there is no need to beg!
B. John the Baptist sent two disciples to ask Jesus if He was indeed the Messiah or do they look for another. Jesus responded to their inquiry with action.
1. He cured “many” of their infirmities indicating that there may have been some that He did not cure.
2. He set “many” free from demons and unto “many” that were blind He gave sight.
a) I don’t know why everyone is not healed but obviously this also happened occasionally in the ministry of Jesus.
b) Some say it’s because we don’t have enough faith. THAT’S A FLIPPANT ANSWER! Faith has an undeniable part in miracles and healing but it’s not the only component.
c) Some of the greatest ministers in history had enormous faith and still were either ill themselves or lost loved ones to illness.
C. The Proof is in the Fruit
1. V19 - Don’t be offended when people come looking for fruit.
2. People are attracted to authentic moves of God.
3. Every Church has a choice. Be a “feel Good Society” or be a “Community of Worshippers.”
II. THE CHALLENGE
A. Luke 7:23 - And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.
1. Jesus was not what the current scholars of the day expected in the Messiah.
a) They thought Jesus would deliver them from the Romans.
b) They expected Him to be born of royalty. (if they only knew)
c) They thought He would come wielding a sword. Instead He came establishing Grace and expounding on things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
d) Some were offended when encouraged to embrace Him as the Messiah that the prophets foretold.
B. Rarely does Jesus do what is expected. He usually blows us away with something more!
1. How many times have we missed out on the move of God because He wasn’t moving like we expected? - Jesus praying over Jerusalem…
2. Don’t be offended when He manifests Himself completely different from what is expected!
C. We should not be ashamed of Jesus.
1. We should wear our love for Jesus like a badge of honor.
2. There should never be a question in anyone’s mind that we are a fully devoted follower of Jesus Christ.
“But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God.”
Luke 12:9 KJV
• Let’s love our world on behalf of Jesus
• Let’s always be mindful of the imminent return of the Lord
• Let’s cleanse our minds and purify our hearts and live holy unto the Lord