Summary: the role of bible in our spiritual growth
Lesson 3: How Does The Bible Help Me Grow Spiritually?
The Bible is God’s owners’manual for humanity.
God gave the Bible to man to reveal how man can know God and grow spiritually.
In Depth Study
I The role of Bible in spiritual growth
a) The scripture has an inherent power as the Holy Spirit energizes it in our lives.
b) The Word of God is profitable for what you need to know, for what you need to be and what you need to do. (2 Tim 3.16-17)
c) In order to grow, we need to eat. The Bible in many places uses the metaphor of
eating in connection with God’s Word.
• “When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear your name, O Lord God Almighty.” (15:16)
• Feeding on God’s word is a must for spiritual growth. (1 Pet 1:22-2:1-3)
II Top 10 reasons why you should study the Bible
1. Bible is the Word of God. (2 Pet 1:16-21, 2 Tim 3:16, 17)
The Bible is the revelation of God to us. This means 3 things:
• It is a book by God. The Holy Spirit used human agents to record the very word that God wanted us to read.
• It is a book about God. Revelation means to ‘reveal’ or to ‘unveil’ something. Without this revelation, there is so much about God that we would NOT know.
• Since it is God’s Word, it will be around forever. (1 Pet 1:24,25)
2. The Bible answers life’s most important questions.
Since the Bible is written by the Author of life, it is FULL of wisdom, guidance and direction for life. (Ps 119:19, 97-105; Prov 2:6)
3. The Bible nourishes us spiritually. (Heb 5:12-14)
4. The Bible encourages us to see ourselves as we are. (James 1:22-25)
a) The Bible is a mirror. The Bible shows you the things in your life that you need to correct so that you will look like how God wants you to.
• We do NOT study the Bible to impress people with our superior knowledge.
• Rather, the purpose of studying the Word is to help you straighten out your life so you will look more like the One in Whose image you have been made.
• “The goal is not for us to get through the Scriptures. The goal is for the Scriptures to get through us.”- John Ortberg
• One writer puts it this way, “Keep looking into the mirror, until you no longer see yourself, but all that you see is Christ.”
5. The Bible brings transformation. (Rom 12; 1, 2. Heb 4:12)
a) The Word of God is living and active. It helps to transform us by renewing our mind – by judging the thoughts and attitudes of our hearts.
“The Bible is alive, it speaks to me, it has feet, it runs after me; it has hands, it lays hold of me.” Martin Luther.
6. The Bible is a source of comfort & hope. (Ps 119:49, 50, 52)
• “I am weak from waiting for you to save me, but I hope in your word.” (Ps 119:81)
• “You are my refuge and my shield; your word is my only source of hope.” (Ps 119:114, NLT)
• “In my distress and anguish, your commands comfort me.” (Ps 119:143, LB)
• “I rise up early before the sun is up; I cry out for help and put my hope in your words…” (Ps 119:147, NLT)
7. The Bible exposes false teaching. (Mt 7:15-23, Gal 1:6-9)