Summary: Need to know our assets and our deficits in order to grow
A SPIRITUAL INVENTORY
2 Cor. 13:5-9
Illustration: Businessman who falls asleep in church.
EXAMINE: to give an honest account of where you were, and where you are, and what is important to you. To do this spiritually; measures prayer time, Bible reading, witnessing, scripture memory, life changes, DQT, and devos.
1. Past (where you were) Learn from it, count your blessings, assess your failings.
2. Present (where you are) Growth chart, are you falling backward or everything Status quo, either way you are going backward. Growth even a centimeter is moving forward.
3. Future: set attainable goals for your self, remember “the Lord willing.”
4. Examination should be done on a daily basis (1 Cor. 11:27-30)
Those who do not do a careful examination will fail the test!!!!!
TEST: The only measure by which we can see how we are doing is by scripture.
1. Improvements; be careful, pride may set in
2. Mistakes: find out why they were made
Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat its mistakes
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.
Whether we pass or fail the test the next step is;
Three things we ought to pray for
1. Forgiveness for our failures
2. Strength for our future
3. Love that is perfect; eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart that is after God.
This type of praying is symbolized by a poem by Avis Christainsen
Another year is dawning- a path unknown untried
‘Twould fill me with foreboding, had I no hand to guide
But he who walked beside me all through the yesteryear
Whatever may betide me, promised to be near
Another year with Jesus, Ah then no dread I know
His love is ever precious, how ‘er the winds may blow
E’en when the storm is fiercest, in Him my soul may rest
And find sweet peace and comfort upon his lovely breast
Another year to trust him-yes I can trust him still
Who has never yet failed me-as I have sought his will
His rod and staff he giveth me, to be my strength and stay
And tenderly he leadeth along the homeward way
As you inventory your life, what plans do you have for the new year?
What changes? What goals? What resolutions are you going to make, with God’s help
May God Grant us to so live that the world we are part of may know the life changing power of Jesus Christ.