Summary: Giants come at us all through life. David’s example shows us how to deal with the Giants that try to attack our lives.
1 Samuel 17 1-58
Giants come at us all through life. Some kill our enthusiasm for Christ. Some attack our attitudes and habits. Personal relationships, compromising situations, sinful additions become giants that taunt us day and night. The giants win one small battle and then attack other areas in our lives. Suddenly we are unable to stand up against the giants. As a result, our witness among friends and family become ineffective. Nonbelievers look at us cowering in the corner and determine not to become Christians because they don’t want to be like us. What enables us to stand up against such giants? We need courage that comes from only God. With courage comes determination to overcome fear, to depend on God, and to act to glorify Him. David showed us how to face Giants!
1. Fear: Don’t let it defeat you. 17: 8-11
2. Depend on God’s help. 17: 32-33,37
3. Act in ways that honor God. 17: 45-47,50
1. Fear: Don’t let it defeat you
A. Giant was 9 feet tall
B. Saul was scared of this Giant
C. What is the giant in your life?
D. No matter what age, we all have Giants! Something in our lives that hinder us from serving the Lord like we should and hinders our faith
E. David had three giants that we see.
2. Depend on God’s help
A. VERSE 26: David couldn’t believe that the Philistine had the audacity to defy the armies of the living God.
1. Army of the living God is us. We are God’s Army Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength”
2. Who does he think he is?
B. Who do you depend on? God or Man?
1. Saul told he couldn’t do he was crazy this guy has been fighting since he was your age.
2. David knew better. Why?
a. God had delivered him before
b. Practice makes perfect
c. How? VERSE 37 “THE LORD WHO DELIVERED ME FROM THE PAW OF THE LION AND THE PAW OF THE BEAR WILL DELIVER ME FROM THE HAND OF THIS PHILISTINE”
C. How was David able to depend on God? How can we do the same?
1. David didn’t look at the Giant. He never called him by name. He looked to God!
a. Psalm 91: 2 “I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust”
2. Do we look to God? I know sometimes I don’t and that is when the giant usually wins
3. God wants to deliver us from the hand of the Philistine?
a. For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you plans to give you hope and a future. JER 29:11
4. Does God have the power to deliver us from every Giant we face? Absolutely! Does He? NO!
5. We should be confident of God’s ability to overcome an impossible situation or sustain us through the situation.
a. Through the situations we can claim the two verses I just read.
c. My God is bigger than this Giant. That is what David was saying. How can you guys not see this?
6. David knew God. David walked with God. He wasn’t terrified of this 9 feet tall giant because his God and our God is bigger than any Giant we will face as long as we depend on God.
3. Act in Ways that Honor God