Summary: Only 3 Hebrews stood when the whole world bowed. Likewise, we Christians found ourselves on the losing end of the culture war in America. Same-sex marriage, abortion, & marijuana won. Do we throw up our hands and say, "There's no use fighting it?" No! We
STANDING IN A BOWING WORLD
A. HUMOR: Who’s Really Smarter?
1. A young boy entered a barber shop and the barber whispered to his customer, “This is the dumbest kid in the world. Watch while I prove it to you.”
2. The barber puts a dollar bill in one hand and two quarters in the other, then called the boy over and asked, “Jimmy, which do you want?” Jimmy took the quarters and left the dollar. “What did I tell you?” said the barber. “That kid never learns!”
3. Later, when the customer left, he saw Jimmy coming out of the ice cream store. “Hey Jimmy! I know you know how much money is worth, so why did you take the quarters instead of the dollar bill?”
4. Jimmy licked his cone and replied, “Because the day I take the dollar, the game is over!”
B. EVENTS OF LAST WEEK
1. Last Tuesday, the Christian landscape of America was altered. The public policy of our country has long mirrored the Christian worldview, but a significant shift took place. A majority of voters in our country voted to dismantle several Christian positions that had never been challenged. We found our views on the losing side of the culture war.
a. Same-Sex Marriage. Four states – Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, and Washington – voted in same-sex marriage. This overturned the traditional interpretation of marriage. This had never happened before through the will of the people.
b. Abortion. This year the Democrat National Convention, which had previously been pro-abortion, went a step further in removing language from their platform that limited the scope of abortions -- "safe, legal, and rare." Why would someone not want abortions “safe, legal, and rare?” This development in the party that won the presidency is cause for grave concern.
c. Legalization of Marijuana. Colorado and Washington states both legalized Marijuana for recreational use. Other states had legalized it before for medical use, but a doctor’s prescription was necessary. Not so any longer. Studies have shown Marijuana blunts ambition. It’s users become docile.
3. Many of us can remember when gambling was illegal in all the states except Nevada. Now it is probably in most states. Once the door is opened to a vice, rarely can the door be shut until its run its deadly course.
4. Should we throw up our hands and say, “If the society wants it, then let them have it! I’m tired of fighting!” No, because our children and grand children are in the balance. We will stand and fight, wherever we are, against the evils of society!
5. We’re going to look at a very similar situation in the Book of Daniel.
3 King Nebuchadnezzar made an image of gold, ninety feet high and nine feet wide, and set it up on the plain of Dura in the province of Babylon. 2 He then summoned the satraps, prefects, governors, advisers, treasurers, judges, magistrates and all the other provincial officials to come to the dedication of the image he had set up. 4 Then the herald loudly proclaimed, “This is what you are commanded to do, O peoples, nations and men of every language: 5 As soon as you hear the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipes and all kinds of music, you must fall down and worship the image of gold that King Nebuchadnezzar has set up. 6 Whoever does not fall down and worship will immediately be thrown into a blazing furnace.” 13 Furious with rage, Nebuchadnezzar summoned Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. So these men were brought before the king, 14 and Nebuchadnezzar said to them, “Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, that you do not serve my gods or worship the image of gold I have set up? 15 Now when you hear the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipes and all kinds of music, if you are ready to fall down and
worship the image I made, very good. But if you do not worship it, you will be thrown immediately into a blazing furnace. Then what god will be able to rescue you from my hand?” 16 Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” 19 Then Nebuchadnezzar was furious with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, and his attitude toward them changed. He ordered the furnace heated seven times hotter than usual 20 and commanded some of the strongest soldiers in his army to tie up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego and throw them into the blazing furnace. 21 So these men, wearing their robes, trousers, turbans and other clothes, were bound and thrown into the blazing furnace. 22 The king’s command was so urgent and the furnace so hot that the flames of the fire killed the soldiers who took up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, 23 and these three men, firmly tied, fell into the blazing furnace.