Summary: This sermon analyzes the perils that can be unnecessarily experienced when we choose to stray away from the Provision of GOD to go after what we want out of life!
“Stay In The Father’s Presence!!!”
11. And he said, A certain man had two sons:
12. And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.
13. And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.
14. And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.
15. And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.
16. And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.
17. And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18. I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
v. 12 “give me”
These two words clearly shows us that whatever it is that is about to be asked for is not actually his to begin with and may not have been earned either. Notice that he is requesting his portions of his father’s earnings and wealth, but it is never pointed out that he ever did anything to earn what he has requested. How much does this actually describe us today? How much do we ask GOD for that we know we really do not deserve? This verse outlines the principle of Grace for us to see in that something has the possibility of being given that obviously has not been earned by the person that is asking for it or that it will be bestowed upon!
v. 12 “he divided unto them”
This phrase points out to us that the father did not merely grant the younger son what he requested but also practiced the principle of fairness by giving just as much to the older son who had not made the request! This should serve as an example that it is right to treat everyone with the same manner of respect and not be driven by biased or preconceived notions!
v. 13 “not many days after”
How many times have we made countless mistakes all because we did not take the ample time to properly figure out what the best course of action was? We often make the wrong decisions when we move too fast and have not consulted GOD as to what would be the best thing to do in a situation! (Proverbs 3:5-6 (quickview) )
v. 13 “into a far country”
No doubt this young man wanted o get as far away from home as he possibly could! He may have even been trying to get away from anyone that knew him, his father, or anyone associated with his father! Why is it that when we decide we want to do something that might not be pleasing to our Father that we do as this young man and try to get as far away from His presence and the presence of His people as we think we can get? This young man no doubt settled somewhere where he was assured that his father was not known so he could do whatever he wanted to do. We, however, tend to forget that we can not go anywhere that the Presence of GOD is not already there! (Psalms 139:7-12 (quickview) )