Summary: Thanks to Pastor David Carter for this outline. Get in the ship and stay in the ship!
ACTS 27:21-32 "STAY IN THE SHIP!"
A) In the context of this Scripture, we see a picture of man’s way vs. God’s way to save men!
* Fourteen life threatening days had passed since the ship had left The Fair Havens.
* It was midnight and the sailors had no idea where they were, but they sensed they were close to
some land. * In sounding the depth, they discovered they were being driven toward shore.
* They were terrified, for the likelihood was that they were going to crash upon a rocky shore!
* Quickly, they dropped anchor, awaiting day break and hoping for the best.
B) What happened next is very graphic! * The sailors plotted an escape!
* They were ignoring the Word and promise of God entirely!
* Paul discovered the plot and proclaimed that God’s way for saving everyone had to be followed
if anyone wished to be saved! * v.31 "Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved."
* We need to get people in the ship and keep them in the ship!
* In the ship, they are safe ... But out of the ship, they will perish!
C) Here me this morning ... Get in the ship and STAY IN THE SHIP!!!
* Let me give you about six ships that we need to get into and stay!
* Stay in the ship, you’re safe ... Get out of the ship, you’ll perish!
(1) RELATIONSHIP! * "A connection, the condition of belonging to the same family."
* Being a Christian is all about being in a relationship, being in the same family!
A) John 1:12 "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become ......."
* The most important thing a person can know is that they have a right relationship with God!
* One of the most saddest verses in the Bible is found in the preceding verse ... v.11!
* "He came unto his own, and his own received him not."
* There might have been some excuse for the world’s rejection of God’s Son, because the world
was in ignorance and spiritual darkness!
B) But Israel should have recognized Him! * They searched the Scriptures, they knew the law!
* They had the books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Zechariah, Psalms ... But they were blinded by unbelief!
* An unbelief in which there was absolutely no excuse!
* Therefore, when their Messiah came, instead of opening their arms to welcome Him, they took
up stones to stone Him! * They drove Him from their cities .......
* They tempted to banish Him from the earth which was created by Him and for Him!
* They insulted Him, they accused Him, they even called Him an impostor!
C) What did Jesus do when His people rejected Him? * Did He turn His wrath upon them?
* Did He turn them over to Satan to be forever damned in the Lake of Fire?
* Did He say to His Father, "Destroy them, send down fire upon Israel?" * No!
* Thank God for these words in v.12, "But as many as received him, to them gave he power ......."
* Not everyone rejected Him ... Most did ... But a few received Him!
D) That word "received" means: To take ... To get hold of!
* I’m glad for the day that I received Jesus as my Messiah, my Savior, my Lord!
* The reason these people rejected Him, and the same reason they do today is because their