Summary: Thanks to Pastor David Carter for this outline. Get in the ship and stay in the ship!
ACTS 27:21-32 "STAY IN THE SHIP!"
A) In the context of this Scripture, we see a picture of man’s way vs. God’s way to save men!
* Fourteen life threatening days had passed since the ship had left The Fair Havens.
* It was midnight and the sailors had no idea where they were, but they sensed they were close to
some land. * In sounding the depth, they discovered they were being driven toward shore.
* They were terrified, for the likelihood was that they were going to crash upon a rocky shore!
* Quickly, they dropped anchor, awaiting day break and hoping for the best.
B) What happened next is very graphic! * The sailors plotted an escape!
* They were ignoring the Word and promise of God entirely!
* Paul discovered the plot and proclaimed that God’s way for saving everyone had to be followed
if anyone wished to be saved! * v.31 "Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved."
* We need to get people in the ship and keep them in the ship!
* In the ship, they are safe ... But out of the ship, they will perish!
C) Here me this morning ... Get in the ship and STAY IN THE SHIP!!!
* Let me give you about six ships that we need to get into and stay!
* Stay in the ship, you’re safe ... Get out of the ship, you’ll perish!
(1) RELATIONSHIP! * "A connection, the condition of belonging to the same family."
* Being a Christian is all about being in a relationship, being in the same family!
A) John 1:12 "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become ......."
* The most important thing a person can know is that they have a right relationship with God!
* One of the most saddest verses in the Bible is found in the preceding verse ... v.11!
* "He came unto his own, and his own received him not."
* There might have been some excuse for the world’s rejection of God’s Son, because the world
was in ignorance and spiritual darkness!
B) But Israel should have recognized Him! * They searched the Scriptures, they knew the law!
* They had the books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Zechariah, Psalms ... But they were blinded by unbelief!
* An unbelief in which there was absolutely no excuse!
* Therefore, when their Messiah came, instead of opening their arms to welcome Him, they took
up stones to stone Him! * They drove Him from their cities .......
* They tempted to banish Him from the earth which was created by Him and for Him!
* They insulted Him, they accused Him, they even called Him an impostor!
C) What did Jesus do when His people rejected Him? * Did He turn His wrath upon them?
* Did He turn them over to Satan to be forever damned in the Lake of Fire?
* Did He say to His Father, "Destroy them, send down fire upon Israel?" * No!
* Thank God for these words in v.12, "But as many as received him, to them gave he power ......."
* Not everyone rejected Him ... Most did ... But a few received Him!
D) That word "received" means: To take ... To get hold of!
* I’m glad for the day that I received Jesus as my Messiah, my Savior, my Lord!
* The reason these people rejected Him, and the same reason they do today is because their
relationship is with someone else!
* John 8:44 "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do."
* You either have a relationship with God, or you have a relationship with the devil!
* Hear me ... The only thing that will matter when you are laying on your deathbed, and you are
about to cross over into eternity, is your relationship with Jesus Christ!
* So, get in this relationship ... And stay in it!
* In the ship, you are safe ... Out of the ship, you will perish!
(2) MEMBERSHIP! * First we get into relationship with God through the blood of Jesus Christ!
* Then we need to place our membership in a good Bible believing, Bible preaching, Bible
practicing church! * Let me recommend Faith FWB Church to you this morning!
A) Heb.10:25 "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner ......."
* Forsaking - To desert, to leave behind ... And many are doing just that!
* I cannot understand why people do not attend church more faithfully now a days!
* Listen to me ... You need the church in your life ... You need the strength of the church!
* I don’t see how folk are making it when they don’t come to church like they ought to!