Summary: Steps to Revival
Jonah 1:1-3 Steps to Revival
1. The Revelation of A Plan - Jonah 1:1-3
1 Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying, Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.
i. A Power Here - the word of the LORD = God is the source of Revival
ii. A Person Here - came unto Jonah the son of Amittai,
Jonah was an Imperfect Man - Disobedient to God's Call
Jonah was an Impulsive Man - 3 But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD
Jonah was an Impatient Man - Ch 4:1 - 4
iii. A Place Here - 2 Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city,
iv. A Proclamation Here - 2 ....and cry against it;
v. A Purpose Here - for their wickedness is come up before me.
2. The Reservation of A Prophet
3 But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD
Jonah was :- A Reluctant Prophet = 3 But Jonah
A Rebellious Prophet = from the presence of the LORD,
A Repentent Prophet = 2:1 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish’s belly,
Ex 3:11 And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt? 2 Sam7:18 Then went king David in, and sat before the LORD, and he said, Who am I, O Lord GOD? and what is my house, that thou hast brought me hitherto?
3. The Restoration of A Penitent 2:10 And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.
Lessons learned in the fish's belly
He Learned to Pray -
2:1 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish’s belly,
The indication is that Jonah prayed for three days and three nights - 1: 17.
What caused Jonah to pray ?
(1) The Rod of God 2:2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.
(2) The Rescue by God 2: 6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God. I prayed ... And God Answered!
(3) The Reconciliation to God 2:4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.
Getting out of God's presence was not as he had expected.
(4) The Restoration through God
He Learned to Praise - 2:9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.
He Learned to Preach - 3:1 And the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the second time, saying, 2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee. 3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD.
4. The Revival of A People 3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD
A. Involved A Man -3 So Jonah arose, - Second Chance
B. Involved A Message - 3:4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day’s journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown C. Involved A Miracle - 3: 5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.