Summary: The church, the people of God, need to continually be stirred up afresh.
(I) Stirred to Repentance
The Church at Ephesus , left their first love
(A) Revelation 2:4,5,( Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.)
The Church at Pergamos , accepting bad doctrine
(B) Revelation 2:15,16,( So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
16. Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.)
The Church at Sardis , had a name they were alive but were dead
(C) Revelation 3:3,( Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.)
The Church of the Laodecians , lukewarm in works and service
(D) Revelation 3:19,( As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.)
(E) II Chronicles 7:14,( If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.)
(F) II Corinthians 7:9,10,( Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
10. For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.)
We may not be guilty of adultery, fornication, drunkenness, or murder, but we may need to repent of dead works, halfhearted service, or unconcern.
(II) Stir up the Faith.
(A) Matthew 17:19,( Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20. And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.)
Stir up the faith of the three Hebrews
(B) Daniel 3:17,18,( If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
18. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.)
Stir up the faith of David
(C) I Samuel 17:37,( David said moreover, The Lord that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine.)
(D) I Samuel 17:45,46,( Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
46. This day will the Lord deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcasses of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.)
(E) Hebrews 10:38,( Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.)
If the church wants to fulfill God’s plan, see the miraculous, be victorious, it has to come through faith.
(F) Hebrews 11:32-38,( And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:
33. Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions.
34. Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.
35. Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:
36. And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:
37. They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;