Summary: This sermon deals with learning to memorize and meditate on scripture.
Storing And Chewing
Prov 7:2-3,Psa 119:11, 105, 41-43, Zec 4:6, Jer 15:16 , 1 Pet 3:15, Psa 63:6, Psa 119:72
Prov 4:23, Rom 12:2, John 15:7, Josh 1:8,
November 7, 2003
I. I’ve been talking about habits that we need to develop as Christians, and I’m still on the habit of spending time with God’s Word.
A. Another thing that we need to know is HOW TO MEMORIZE GOD S WORD.
(Prov 7:2-3 NIV) Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.
B. That means "Guard my words as your most precious possession. Write them down, and also keep them within your heart."
C. One of the most powerful habits that you can develop is to memorize Scripture. As you put scripture in your mind it will come to your mind when you need it most.
D. If we don’t memorize scripture we miss opportunities to solve a problem, give a word encouragement with something to back it up, to answer questions, and things like that.
II. THE BENEFITS OF MEMORIZING SCRIPTURE:
A. IT HELPS ME RESIST TEMPTATION.
1. We have a good example of this with Jesus in the wilderness. When the devil tempted Him, He quoted scripture every time He was tempted. Granted, He did write the book, so He did have a little advantage over us. But He memorized the scripture.
2. The bible tells us that memorizing scripture helps us deal with temptation.
(Psa 119:11 NIV) I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
B. Another benefit of memorizing scripture is, IT HELPS ME MAKE WISE DECISIONS.
1. (Psa 119:105 NIV) says, Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
2. There are times that I am studying or dealing with a problem, or just wondering what I am going to do now, and a verse pops into my mind. Because I had it memorized. If I hadn t have had it memorized the Holy Spirit couldn t have brought it to mind.
3. Memorizing scripture creates a situation where God has the ability use scripture that we have memorized to light our path at the time when we need a light.
C. Another benefit of memorizing scripture is, IT STRENGTHENS ME WHEN I M UNDER STRESS.
1. (Psa 119:41-43 NIV) May your unfailing love come to me, O LORD, your salvation according to your promise; then I will answer the one who taunts me, for I trust in your word. Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws.
2. When our children are struggling with things we want to comfort them. As our Father God wants to do the same thing, and when we memorize His Word, He can bring it to our minds to comfort us in times of stress.
3. At times when I get stressed out because things are not happening as fast as I want them too, or when I am trying to help someone deal with a problem, and it seems to be going nowhere there is a verse that pops into my head a lot. (Zec 4:6 NIV) ’Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the LORD Almighty.
D. Another benefit of memorizing scripture is, IT COMFORTS ME WHEN I M SAD.
1. (Jer 15:16 NIV) When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty.