Summary: Part 1 of 7 in the teaching series "Storybooks, Fairytales and the Life God Wants You to Have."
"Storybooks, Fairytales & the Life God Wants You to Have"
Part 1 - Ideals, Settling & Obedience
NewSong Church - 11/16/08
To watch or listen to this message online go to www.newsongs.org or subscribe to our podcast. To request the multimedia that accompanied this message, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
[SLIDE] - This week we begin our new teaching series, "Storybooks, Fairytales & the Life God Wants You to Have."
• We all know that this time of year, we are supposed to experience peace, joy, gratitude, hope, love… you know, all the good holiday attitudes and emotions
• But over the past few weeks, I have had many people both in and outside of the church tell me, "Well, those sound like nice ideals, and it would be great if I could experience them, but they’re not really part of my life and I’m not even sure they’re meant for everybody."
• Part of that statement is absolutely true. Those ideals are often not part of our real lives.
• But they are part of God’s life, the life that He desires and even expects us to have, a life lived on His level.
• And we will never be able to experience that life on His level so long as we are clinging to life on our level.
• So over the next couple weeks leading into the Advent season, we will be looking at principles from the Bible that help us live God’s ideals in our reality.
[SLIDE] Discussion: What kind of life do you think God wants for you?
• I’m not talking about the kind of life some televangelists promise, a prosperity message
• Life with no problems, lots of money, huge success, perfect body shape and great hair
• That life only exists in storybooks and fairytales
• Even when we get to experience some of it, the story is over in the blink of an eye
:: The Life God Wants You to Have ::
[SLIDE] - “… I have come that you may have life, and have it to the full” [NIV]
[SLIDE] - “… I came so that everyone would have life, and have it in its fullest.” [CEV]
[SLIDE] - “My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.” [NLT]
[SLIDE] - “I came so that they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of.” [The Message]
• A life of joy & happiness, peace & security
• A life of blessing and miracle, a life of provision, wanting for nothing
• A life of abundance, living to its fullest, satisfied, content
• A life of love and loving, overflowing with the compassion and sacrifice of Jesus
• A life of power and impact, a catalyst for change, a life that makes a difference, that counts
• A life that realizes all of these ideals on God’s level, though – not ours.
[SLIDE] - We can live life on God’s level when we exchange our ideals for His ideals.
:: Ideals ::
[SLIDE] - “Existing as a perfect model; exactly as one would desire; a perfect kind.” [Webster]
:: Settling for Good Enough ::
[SLIDE] - “Settling” substitutes God’s ideals for ones that are less than perfect
:: Not Good Enough For God ::
[SLIDE] - If we are going to live with in the blessings and benefits of God’s ideals, then we also have to live in God’s expectation of obedience to his commands.