Summary: overcoming tensions of life
Intro: a number of years ago Lauri’s father had triple by-pass surgery. He was put on blood thinners, given a special diet and was told to exercise. The last thing the doctor advised was, keep stress free. It was kind of funny that a doctor would advise stress free living when we live in a very stressful world. But tonight, I would like to give you the reasons you can live stress free. You won’t find it at the hospital, you can’t get it from the pharmacist, but you can get it from the Word of God.
STRESS FREE LIVING
1. God is in control---43:1—that created thee—one of the things that most of us are famous for is carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders. Of course this will crush us. Here is a key to stress free living
a. let God carry your burdens—come unto me all ye that are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matt. 11:28
b. In him we live, and move and have our being—Acts 17:28
c. In him all things consist—Colossians 1:17
One of the secrets to living stress free is learning to turn things over to God. One lady told me she is good at turning things over to God, but her problem is, she is good at picking them back up again.
2. Your Past is Passed Away— 43:1c Another great stressor in many people’s lives is mistakes they made in the past. So many people live with a lot of regrets. Jesus not only wants to carry your burdens, but erase your guilt. The message of the gospel is that God through Jesus Christ has bought you out of slavery to sin, and set you free to walk in the newness of life.
a. Always realize, out of the billions of people to live this life, only one was perfect. Stop beating yourself up because of imperfections in your life. Move on in Christ.
b. Removed—sin is removed from us as far as the east is from the west.
c. When you are battling in your mind over some old sins and regrets, resist the devil and he will flee from you. You must realize that he is the accuser of the brethren.
3. You are going to make it through—43:2
The next great stress in many people’s lives is fear of failure, fear of going under. People feel overwhelmed by life. The good news is that God is going to bring you through..
a. you will make it through the rough waters.
b. You will make it through the floods.
c. You will make it through the fire.
Stress free living isn’t that you won’t face anything, but with God you can always have the confidence that God will bring you through..
Sister Guy—she said her favorite verse was—and it came to pass—she said when anything came against her, she would say, this too will pass.
4. He Will Do It Again—v.3
The next thing that will keep you stress free, is remembering that the same God that brought you through before, is the same God that will do it again.
When we get into a struggle or battle in life, we many times can get so consumed or overwhelmed that we forget past victories. God wants you to know, he still knows how to get people out of Egypt.
5. God is watching over you—v.4 sometimes people feel they are facing the battles of life all alone. But you are precious in his sight, his eyes are moving to and fro ( 2 Chronicles 16:9) over the whole earth.
In many religions God is non involved, or unconcerned about our lives, but the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob said, I will be to you a God and you will be to me a people.
He puts His Word on it, He places His name on you, and nothing can pluck you out of the hands of the Father.
6. God is with us—43:5—fear not, I am with thee
The best way you can live stress free is to realize God is with you. You and God can do anything together.
He will never leave us or forsake us. He will be with us always, even to the end of the age. If God be for us, then who can be against us.
Close: tonight, seek those things above, rise above it all.
Poem—above it all