Summary: We should be working in accordance to the Spirits leadership not out of Strife. Strife tears down Love and Peace build up.
Title: Strife doesn’t tears down 03/23/14
Introduction: In the movie back to the future the Biff was George McFly’s boss. Biff was a taker and a bully he didn’t know how to treat anybody with compassion, but all of that changed the night of the night of the Enchantment under the Sea dance. In Proverbs 15:1 we are told a soft answer will turns away wrath in Verse 18 we see that a person who operates out of wrath stirs up strife. We should never strife in our church or in our lives.
Core: Trouble begins when people are not working in one accord but seek to bring strife. Careful consideration of your actions in church should be practiced. Strife comes by the answer and action we give people and I the way they are treated. How you talk to people can be the key to peace in the church.
I. Proverbs which was written by King Solomon gives us instruction for living.
A. Is what you want to do being done out of strife or vainglory (pride over one's own achievements) remember that was what caused satan to fall.
1. We talked last week about serving and helping around the church.
2. While some may take too much of a load
3. Others may want to take on part of the load.
4. The point was work together to accomplish the task.
B. Don’t let Envy and strife drive you to want to take on the task, let the Holy Spirit be your guide.
1. Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves
2. It is better not to do something in the church if you are doing it knowing it will produce strife
3. Nor for the glory of people around you.
4. Philippians 2:3 doesn’t stop with talking about doing something is strife or better terminology would be out of anger or because you have been offended.
C. Philippians 2:3 Further states to accomplish a task in oneness of mind
1. We are to praise esteem or admire those who are doing
2. We are to see them as better than ourselves.
3. Maybe this was happening with Euodias and Syntyche in Philippians 4:2 I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord.
4. Working together not separately, esteem each other as better than yourselves.
D. Proverbs 15:18 makes it very clear for us, A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife.
1. If you operate out of wrath then you stir up strife
2. But if you are slow to anger then you will appease strife
3. You see satan wants to stir things up in a church that is teaching the truth
4. If he can stir people up then the church stops working for God
E. We are as Philippians 2:5 says put on the mind of Christ
1. Christ lived a life of humility
2. Many believers let themselves fall into satan’s trap
3. Because man’s nature way is to esteem oneself
4. We in our flesh can’t be humble, we won’t to stand on our own two feet and have our say.
5. None of us want to be offended.
6. None of us want to be ignored
7. None of us should be trampled on
8. When we are we have that tendency to want to strike back and that brings strife in the church. God doesn’t want strife in the church.